Norco RPC 4224 and SFF-8087 cable compatibility issue?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

im2geek4you

Feb 27, 2017
Hi,

So I bought a NORCO RPC 4224 case and I'm having a real hard time to detect the disk drives in it. The case I got has 6 PCB backplanes that connect 4 drives each (PCB has a date code of 02/2016). Each PCB has a SFF-8087 connector. I bought this SFF-8087 to SFF-8087 cable on ebay to connect the case backplanes to my DELL PERC H310 RAID controllers:

Ebay SFF-8087 to SFF-8087 cable

If I connect the drive in to the case and use the cable mentioned it just won't detect the drive. I have 3 of these cables and all do the same. I also tested several of the PCB boards on the case and the behavior is the same, and also with SATA and SAS drives. I also tested the Raid controller with a normal SFF-8087 to 4x sata cable and the RAID controller sees the disks with no problem with this cable. So it can't be an issue with the raid card.

I know that there are differences between the SFF-8087 to 4x sata cables (reverse or non reverse cables), but never seen any information regarding SFF-8087 to SFF-8087 cables being different.
Now I ordered a couple of official Norco cables model C-SFF8087-D and I'm praying that this does not come out to be another bad deal :(

Finally my question is if anyone has experienced similar issues with this case or the SFF-8087 cables used with it?
What cables are you using/recommending?

K D

Dec 24, 2016
I have used various cables including the Norco cables in this case with no issues so far. Have you checked the power supply and the molex cables? I crimped my own cable with 6x 4 pin connectors and there was a break in the second one in the series and the backplane was very flaky. Pulled my hair out before I found the problem. Once that was corrected it has worked fine.

im2geek4you

Feb 27, 2017
I'm powering only one row at a time and one disk using just one molex straight from the power supply. The disk blue light comes on so it seems to have power. Just the green light never blinks :(
I've moved the disk around the row but it's always the same behavior. Must be the cheap ebay cables I bought, although they are amphenol branded o_O
I've searched the internet back and forward and only found one place where someone complained of similar issue.
Apparently there are 2 types of SFF-8087 cables (with and without sideband) ... what kind are yours?

K D

Dec 24, 2016
This Chassis needs a cable with sff 8087 on both ends or a reverse breakout cable. I personally have seen sideband connectors only in 8087 to sata forward breakout cables. I have never needed to use the sideband cable as none of the backplanes I've used them with have supported it.

Last edited:

im2geek4you

Feb 27, 2017
Ok, just for closure. I received the Norco cables today (they are actually Molex branded) and everything works fine now :).
So apparently not any SFF-8087 to SFF-8087 cable works with this case :mad:.
These Norco cables have part number 79576-2102 and specs can be found here in case someone runs into the same problem I did.

Last edited:
Reactions: K D

K D

Dec 24, 2016
This case has taken different cables that I have thrown at it from Amazon, eBay and local frys. Weird that it would give you so much trouble.

rubylaser

Jan 4, 2013
Michigan, USA
This case has taken different cables that I have thrown at it from Amazon, eBay and local frys. Weird that it would give you so much trouble.
My 4224 has also had many different cables and HBAs used in it without issue. I have had two cheap Ebay Chinese 8087 -> 8087 from the same vendor that didn't work, but substituting with a good cable remedied the issue (they refunded my money as soon as I issued a complaint).

Reactions: im2geek4you

Xplode

Feb 25, 2016
I would like to confirm this problem with my NORCO RPC 4224 case too, i had 8 cheap ebay type cables, none worked!
What's weird is that all 8 cables work as long as they aren't connected to the backplanes in the 4224

I bought some quality cables locally and they work right away!
The cables i bought are a little long and i'd like to get right angled cables with good quality, does anyone know where i can buy some?

K D

Dec 24, 2016
I used to buy them off Amazon and Ebay but recently purchased a few off Supermicro estore. Love the custom length ones that they have that fit SM TQ backplanes.

Xplode

Feb 25, 2016
I got a full refund from the seller that sold me the bad cables :)
For testing 2 new cables with angled SFF 8087 was ordered 1 week ago from eBay, i got them today and found they work perfectly!
I have ordered another 4 cables to have a full set

Reactions: rubylaser

Xplode

Feb 25, 2016
Yeah it was great finding that those angled cables works perfectly!
Now i just need to figure out how to get a new backplane because one of them is dead, Norco doesn't answer my email anymore :mad: