Norco 4220 SAS issues

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Bret Hedrington

Feb 5, 2019
Hello,

I have a norco 4220.
LSI 9210-8i

I have installed drives into top 4 bays (backplain 1) and that seems fine.
Then when i install the next 4 into backplane 2 i goto even the ctrl-c setup for the lsi and it shows some drives (not all) and constantly refreshes with different amounts of the drives listed.

I've tested this with 1 controller and 2 controllers each on own controller, same results.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Bret

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
I'm about finished building a 4220 to replace a synology DS2411+.

Are you using molex splitters or sata to molex adapters to power the backplanes?

I was using molex splitters coming off a 3 molex power cable to a seasonic 1K psu. The backplanes connected to the splitters were a bit wonky I'd have the whole line of drives on that backplane appear/disappear though once gone they did not come back until I had my hands in there trouble shooting. I did some searching of 4224, 4220, 4216's drive issues and found others reporting similar problems and they seem to be related to using molex splitters and/or sata to molex adapters. I ran a 3 molex and 2 molex cable from the power supply to avoid using the splitters and have not had any more issues with the drives on the backplanes.

I also note that the retaining clips from my SFF-8087 cables to did not really firmly click in on a couple of the backplanes so I just made sure the SFF-8087 cables were routed to not put pressure pulling the connectors out of the cards.

itr