Nokia WBX 210 32x-100gbe QSFP28 switch

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Labs

Mar 21, 2019
Yes, Broadcom 3.2Tbps is duplex, while Nokia adds up TX + RX, giving 2*3.2Tbps = 6.4TBps... 32*100G port = 3.2Tbps
In the datasheet I am looking at now it says like this:
Quote:
32QSFP28 - 6.4Tbps line rate (half duplex)
48SFP28 6QSFP28 - 3.6Tbps line rate (half duplex)

Look at the numbers it is 3.6 and 6.4 nothing with 3.2 unless there is typo in the official datasheet released.
I think they run different ASICs because also "typical power consumption" in datasheet says 349W for the 6.4T one and 249W for 3.6T one...

Looking at some other switches running the Broadcom ASICs as a comparison I would say one runs Tomahawk 1 and the other runs Jerico+

NablaSquaredG

Layer 1 Magician
Aug 17, 2020
Yeah and who cares about the 48SFP28 6QSFP28? This thread is about the 32QSFP28 variant

And 3.2 full duplex (Broadcom) = 6.4 half duplex (Nokia)

They just wanted to give bigger numbers, hence they chose half duplex

Labs

Mar 21, 2019
Yeah and who cares about the 48SFP28 6QSFP28? This thread is about the 32QSFP28 variant

And 3.2 full duplex (Broadcom) = 6.4 half duplex (Nokia)

They just wanted to give bigger numbers, hence they chose half duplex
My mistake, yes, 3.2Tbps full duplex, it's late, I guess I need to go to sleep :)

Bartosz Grzelak

Feb 26, 2018
Yes I did return it, sadly did not get the opportunity to try what @Labs has shared :( . How did you get hold of the firmware? It got to the point I was spamming nokia people on the LinkedIn. Anyway considering recent price hikes in electricity here in the uk I just cannot justify running that honk of screaming aluminum for 80$ a month. I might go with mikrotik 100 gig switch since I only have 3 servers in my rack and that thing is running only 45 at wats.

Last edited:

Stephan

Apr 21, 2017
Germany
I'd like to take a look. For educational purposes. Any chance to download this stuff directly somewhere, without it being behind a mountain of javascript sjit and scams and traps?

Labs

Mar 21, 2019
Yes I did return it, sadly did not get the opportunity to try what @Labs has shared :( . How did you get hold of the firmware? It got to the point I was spamming nokia people on the LinkedIn. Anyway considering recent price hikes in electricity here in the uk I just cannot justify running that honk of screaming aluminum for 80$ a month. I might go with mikrotik 100 gig switch since I only have 3 servers in my rack and that thing is running only 45 at wats.
I didn't get a hold of it. I only found it. First I looked for some installation manual or recovery manual and after I saw the file names used there so I tried different search engines and it found that link.

Yes, you are right about power consumption. That is really too high but you can expect this when you see it is having a Xeon CPU, SSD and 2 slots DDR4 memory. I guess only the management board uses somewhere around 60~80W. That switch was built to also run end customer VMs on top so you don't only get a switch but also a small server.

Labs

Mar 21, 2019
I'd like to take a look. For educational purposes. Any chance to download this stuff directly somewhere, without it being behind a mountain of javascript sjit and scams and traps?
Run a Linux VM as a sandbox, make a snapshot before and when you finish revert it back to have it clean. Use NoScript addon and enable one by one the sites until it is somehow working.

Scribd is quite annoying but they have sometimes good PDFs there.
For 4shared, make an account and you can download up to 3GB/day without issues.

alsenior

Member Member
Apr 19, 2016
I can upload them to nextcloud if you want.

Reactions: Stephan

oneplane

Jul 23, 2021
I think if it runs a standard BMC Tomahawk topology, a SAI already exists for it. And if it runs ARM or x86 it shouldn't be too hard to make it do whatever we want.

Licensing-wise it depends on what they use; Broadcom has licensing support in their binary blobs ('switchdrvr') and it's rather.. hackable. Not something you'd want to do commercially, but I doubt Nokia gives a crap what you do in your homelab.

dynemix

Jun 5, 2022
@alsenior I would like to learn too, because I cant read the documentation on scribd, the site is blocking the whole PDF to read :'(