Noise reduction 42u - no panels + perforated doors.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

FlashEngineer

Jan 27, 2016
Currently in progress of finishing up my server room/office, originally I was going to just keep it a server only room with occasional use to do whatever work/pc build/general workshop so having supermicro fans spin up at high rpm doesn't matter.

Now with using it as an office, I'm trying to reduce as much noise as possible. Currently spinning down the stock fans on the chassis can get it ok quiet but not enough, so I went and bought FAN-0074L4 to replace all the SM fans. On another thread here, was told these are the most quiet but can still pull enough to cool the HDD in the 836 chassis.

Other than that, is there a way to quiet the rack more? I can't find/buy anymore side panels for my compaq 9000 series rack, and the doors I have them but they are perforated type. Don't think the doors will do anything at all for sound.

Is it possible to retrofit a plexiglass door or something and install some side panels from custom and put sound insulation?

Any other ideas? I know it won't be quiet as my current office with just a desktop tower + Noctua fans, but trying get it quiet as possible to keep my sanity...

Pics:

Reactions: Patrick

mstone

Mar 11, 2015
you can put foam around it, but then everything will melt. now you know why fanless is good. :)

Jon Massey

Nov 11, 2015
If you're still in the process of building maybe make it its own little cubby with a door. If you made provisions for adequate front-to-back airflow (i.e. somewhere for the hot air to exhaust out the back and decent cold flow in the front) then isolating it off in its own space (with suitably insulated walls) could be an option.

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
I agree with Jon suggestion. You can get something like this wall divider or build your own. Amazon.com: Versare MP10 Mobile Accordion Room Divider 360 - 10 Feet Wide by 48 inches High - Black: Industrial & Scientific

Then put sound absorbing foam on the inside to reduce noise levels Amazon.com: Acoustic Foam 2.5" Egg Crate Panel Studio Soundproofing Foam Wall Panel 48" X 24" X 2.5" (2 Pack): Musical Instruments

Key is to get fresh cold air in front of rack while getting heat from rear out.

you can get a portable AC unit like this for cooling part
Amazon.com: Tripp Lite Rack-Mount Cooling Unit Air Conditioner, AC, 7,000 BTU (2.0kW), 120V, 8U, 5-15P Plug (SRCOOL7KRM): Home & Kitchen

Diavuno

1/2" MDF from the lumber yard. for solid sides.

Use automotive weatherstrip in the gaps.

in the front bore out some holes and use the egg crate foam like above with the ruffles faceing the hole leaving at least 2" overlap.

I found that the intake doors I've made work well with many 4" bores and 8"x8" squares of foam

On the rear or top you'll need exhaust fans, thats the complicated part, you can use a series of heater filters to baffle or make a box with at least 2 baffles (spaced to allow for more egg crate padding)
make this box so you can clean out dust if necessary.

Done well Ive made a rack of older x7 1U almost inaudible from the outside.

iriscloud

SADTech
Jan 13, 2015
ID, USA
Hey Diavuno,
Do you have any pics? I've been designing an enclosed rack but am still looking for inspiration.

Last edited: