No system inventory in IPMI interface for new Asrock Rack ROMED8-2T mobo and Epyc 7443P cpu

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Keith Myers

Oct 10, 2020
I have nothing but an informational message that you need to POST before the system inventory can be listed.

I have booted and posted dozens of times now. Never have seen anything show up in the System Information >> System Inventory tab in the IPMI. The other tabs, FRU information and Power Source populate however.

Epyc 7443P cpu, ROMED8-2T mobo 64GB Samsung 3200 ECC RDIMMs in 4 sticks and two GTX 1080 gpus installed along with a M.2 boot drive and a 512GB bulk storage SSD.

BIOS 3.20 BMC 1.11

Anybody seen this problem and have a solution?

Last edited:

Keith Myers

Oct 10, 2020
Contacted Asrock Rack Support. They said they would look into the issue. May need to add Redfish support to the BMC firmware.
I had to look that up since I was unfamiliar with it. Looks to be the new standard for out of band management.

jpmomo

Aug 12, 2018
i have a romed8 mb with a 7h12 rome cpu. p1.30 and bmc of 1.10.00. system inventory looks ok other than it is not reading ram that is not samsung (nemix ram doesn't show up although it is functioning properly) can see cpu, pci and storage under the inventory ok. haven't updated bios/fw on this mb as I didn't need to with my rome cpu.

Keith Myers

Oct 10, 2020
I wonder if the system inventory would have worked on the stock 1.10 BMC firmware. I upgraded both the BIOS and BMC firmware for the board to be compatible with Milan cpus. 3.20 BIOS and 1.11 FW.

I never tried it since I flashed both FW's before I ever installed the cpu. Stuck now with what I have with the current cpu.

cboles

Jan 20, 2021
I have two ROMED8QM-2T with 7742 (ES) in them and BIOS / BMC versions of L1.21 / 1.20.00 : System inventory does not work. CPU temp and automatic fan control works.

I have two ROMED8QM-2T with 7713 in them and BIOS / BMC versions of L3.03 / 1.49.00 : System inventory does not work. CPU temp does not work. Automatic fans do not work. Fan speed can be manually changed to full speed via

Code:
ipmitool raw 0x3a 0x01 0x64 0x64 0x64 0x64 0x64 0x64 0x0 0x0
otherwise high workloads will cause the CPU to shut the system down via thermal protection.

I also tried some 7713(ES) parts but couldn't even get the BIOS to POST. Sent one to Taiwan to have ASRock see if they can get it working. No news yet.

Keith Myers

Oct 10, 2020
I have two ROMED8QM-2T with 7742 (ES) in them and BIOS / BMC versions of L1.21 / 1.20.00 : System inventory does not work. CPU temp and automatic fan control works.

I have two ROMED8QM-2T with 7713 in them and BIOS / BMC versions of L3.03 / 1.49.00 : System inventory does not work. CPU temp does not work. Automatic fans do not work. Fan speed can be manually changed to full speed via

Code:
ipmitool raw 0x3a 0x01 0x64 0x64 0x64 0x64 0x64 0x64 0x0 0x0
otherwise high workloads will cause the CPU to shut the system down via thermal protection.

I also tried some 7713(ES) parts but couldn't even get the BIOS to POST. Sent one to Taiwan to have ASRock see if they can get it working. No news yet.
Good to know I'm not alone with this issue with the ROME Asrock boards. I got a reply from Asrock Support that my issue is being kicked upstairs to the developers/engineers. Mentioned was adding REDFISH support to the BIOS for system inventory. No timeline mentioned on when it will be fixed.

cboles

Jan 20, 2021
Good to know I'm not alone with this issue with the ROME Asrock boards. I got a reply from Asrock Support that my issue is being kicked upstairs to the developers/engineers. Mentioned was adding REDFISH support to the BIOS for system inventory. No timeline mentioned on when it will be fixed.
Yes this seems pretty important - They are claiming Milan support on their website for this barebones server, but without crude fan control hacks it would just burn up. I have around 30 1U servers in the same rack, so I couldn't really hear that the fans weren't scaling up with the workload. Fortunately the CPU opted to save itself!

cboles

Jan 20, 2021
i have a romed8 mb with a 7h12 rome cpu. p1.30 and bmc of 1.10.00. system inventory looks ok other than it is not reading ram that is not samsung (nemix ram doesn't show up although it is functioning properly) can see cpu, pci and storage under the inventory ok. haven't updated bios/fw on this mb as I didn't need to with my rome cpu.
I have Nemix RAM in four of these machines currently - none show any RAM on the main BIOS screen, although you can see the RAM module temps for each module on another screen that shows sensor data ("Super IO", IIRC). This is the only mobo / BIOS I have ever seen this happen on.

Keith Myers

Oct 10, 2020
Have new beta BIOS and BMC firmwares for the ROMED8-2T. The BIOS installed fine via the IPMI interface.

However I can't get the BMC firmware to install either by the IPMI interface. Stuck at "verifying" via the IPMI.

Nor with the DOS based SOCFLASH.

That tool produces nothing but a "device not found" message after acknowledging the informational message that the tool is only meant for engineers and not for a production environment and that I do want to flash the firmware.

Still have no System Inventory in the IPMI.

cboles

Jan 20, 2021
Have new beta BIOS and BMC firmwares for the ROMED8-2T. The BIOS installed fine via the IPMI interface.

However I can't get the BMC firmware to install either by the IPMI interface. Stuck at "verifying" via the IPMI.

Nor with the DOS based SOCFLASH.

That tool produces nothing but a "device not found" message after acknowledging the informational message that the tool is only meant for engineers and not for a production environment and that I do want to flash the firmware.

Still have no System Inventory in the IPMI.
I feel like I had that happen the first time I tried on one machine, but subsequent attempts worked on that machine, and the others worked the first time.

Keith Myers

Oct 10, 2020
I haven't received any further response from Asrock Rack Support. Was going to wait for the next reply from them, hoping on Monday.

I already lost six hours of production on that host trying to get the BMC firmware installed. Couldn't even get a USB stick to boot until I figured out I had to turn on legacy support in the CSM in the BIOS.

Got nowhere with FreeDOS either. Finally got a MS-DOS bootable stick that I made on an old Windows 7 laptop I had in the closet to boot.
Don't know if that has anything to do with the " no device found " error.

Dolpa

Apr 27, 2017
Hungary
I have the same issue. My previous CPU was 7451 and the System Inventory tab was fine (almost).
Now I have 7443P with BIOS 3.20 and BMC 1.19 and the System Inventory tab is totally empty.

Unfortunately AsrockRack support is totally useless. Waiting for a BMC update. :rolleyes:

Keith Myers

Oct 10, 2020
I have the same issue. My previous CPU was 7451 and the System Inventory tab was fine (almost).
Now I have 7443P with BIOS 3.20 and BMC 1.19 and the System Inventory tab is totally empty.

Unfortunately AsrockRack support is totally useless. Waiting for a BMC update. :rolleyes:
Well the 3.24 BIOS and BMC 1.19 was supposed to be the fix for the System Inventory.

May I ask how you got the BMC 1.19 to install?

Dolpa

Apr 27, 2017
Hungary
Well the 3.24 BIOS and BMC 1.19 was supposed to be the fix for the System Inventory.

May I ask how you got the BMC 1.19 to install?
The BMC can be update via webGUI or via socflash with DOS boot. Howto is here.

Where did you find the v3.24 BIOS? Latest on the AsrockRack website is v3.20.

Last edited:

Keith Myers

Oct 10, 2020
I've tried both ways. Via the webGUI, it just stays stuck at "verifying" I was able to update the 1.10 BMC to 1.11 via the webGUI with no issues prior.
Doesn't work with the 1.19.00 BMC F/W.

It won't update via the DOS based SOCFLASH tool either. All it get is "device not found" after answering "y" to whether I want to flash after the warning.

I got the 3.24 BIOS and the 1.19 BMC firmwares from Asrock Rack support after I logged an issue with the system inventory not working on Milan.

That combo was supposed to resolve the system inventory issue. But with only half the solution working the problem is still there.

Now support wants me to remove the BMC chip and mail it to them for programming.

Dolpa

Apr 27, 2017
Hungary
I updated the BIOS and BMC when I changed the CPU from Naples to Milan. The recommended procedure in the FAQ/How to Support AMD EPYC™ 7003 Series Processor with ROME series motherboard?

You must enable CSM legacy boot in the BIOS to access the DOS USB drive, at the DOS prompt type “socflash.exe if=ROMED8~2.IMA option=r”. It should work.

Remove the BMC chip to mail for reprogramming is LOL. It must work!

Dolpa

Apr 27, 2017
Hungary
As I see in your case the firmware name is ROMED8~1.IMA. Not ROMED8~2.IMA!
Did you try it too? Pay attention to the exact file name!

Keith Myers

Oct 10, 2020
Yes, of course I used the firmware name that DOS uses. I just thought I'd try your naming convention this time for S&G's
Same difference.
The device is not found