No post, no dr debug, no beep. Rack EPYC D8-2T w/ EPYC 7282

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Caennanu

May 18, 2021
Good day all,

First time here, but no stranger to fora. (got referred from tweakers.net, and been watching a couple video's on youtube from STH).

So . . . i'm having an issue. (strange huh?)
I bought an Asrock Rack EPYC D8-2T, as its specs look great, i don't really need Gen 4.0 PCI-E so saved me a few bucks compared to the Rome edition.
This mobo i wanted to pair with an EPYC 7282 (non P), so i would have a nice replacement for my ryzen 1700 home server (running out of PCI-E lanes).
So i went ahead and bought both.

And this is where the trouble started.
I mount the CPU, Memory, heatsink and a 600watt powersupply i have lying around and i do this ontop of the box to save the hassle of removing the stuff from its case if it don't post.
And what you know, it doesn't post. Matter of fact, Dr Debug doesn't even light up (so not even getting 00).

Okay fine, it must be the torque i have wrong, so i ask around, and since yesterday i finally found someone willing to share their torque tool.
Ofcourse i run to the parts (as i been waiting for this 2 weeks) and completely unseat the CPU, reseat it, torque it down, put the heatsink on and turn the system on . . .
Nothing . . .

Okay fine. Log into IPMI (this works fine btw, version 2.20). No system inventory. No board information, not even BIOS information. Alright okay. Upgrade my BIOS.
As i have no idea whats on there, i upgrade to the latest (2.60) as that should support the 7282. Same issue . . . . no board information, no bios information, no nothing.
Okay, i 'downgrade' to 2.30 as this is the first BIOS revision that supports my CPU. Again . . . same issue.

Dr Debug doesn't like me, its not lighting up, maybe a system speaker will tell me something? So i hook that up, and . . . . . nothing. no beeps, nothing.
So back to bare minimum, what can i remove? RAM! okay, i remove RAM. nothing. At this point there is nothing connected but 3 FANS, a CPU and a power supply. No post, no beeps just IPMI and FANS.

What am i missing? Anyone have an idea?

Caennanu

May 18, 2021
Also additional information:
i checked the mainboard, according to the sticker i do indeed have a 32Mbit BIOS ROM

uldise

Jul 2, 2020
what RAM do you have?
if if you place it outside of any case, are you sure there are no shorts with mobo back side?

Caennanu

May 18, 2021
@uldise
Currently, i have no RAM installed, But i have the 2x 16GB samsung 2666mhz thats on the QVL. M393A2G40EB2-CTD6Q
And yes, very sure there's no shorts.

Caennanu

May 18, 2021
p.s. what bothers me most is that i have absolutely no way to test with a working system . . . making this a fairly hard process.

Caennanu

May 18, 2021
It's a 7282, and its a tray version of it. Bought it from a webshop. Shouldn't be vendor locked?
How can i check?

NablaSquaredG

Layer 1 Magician
Aug 17, 2020
You can't check without a working board...

If it's a new CPU it won't be vendor locked, however if it's a refurbished CPU chances are that it's vendor locked (to Dell or Lenovo for example)

NablaSquaredG

Layer 1 Magician
Aug 17, 2020
Nope. Those are one time fuses being set in the silicon itself (if you run an EPYC / Threadripper Pro CPU inside a Lenovo or Dell server / workstation, it will only ever run in products of the respective vendor afterwards)

Caennanu

May 18, 2021
That's a bit disheartening . . . ill ask. But i don't think its likely they will actually know :p

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017
It might be that ASRACK decided to disable the postcode display per default, i hope not but maybe.

So, basics first. does the PSU turn on?
And what do the Voltages on the ipmi Sensors page report?
Is the CPU fan spinning?

It is usual for ipmis to only populate all the FRU and such periphery information only after a successful boot to bios / os.
On SM H11 it is as bad as the sensors only showing values at that point as well, at least on my H11SSL. Maybe i should update that FW again.

We had a case here on the forum a few month back that sounds similar to yours, in his case, Voltage readings were all over the place indicating either an issue with PSU or the Board and i think he narrowed it down to the Board and RMAed it.

Caennanu

May 18, 2021
Hope not haha.

1. Yes, PSU turns on.
2. not a whole lot?
powered off
1621424268753.png
powered on
1621426065936.png
3. Yes CPU fan and case fans are spinning

Last edited:

tinfoil3d

QSFP28
May 11, 2020
Japan
There's a POST snoop feature under "misc" section there in web bmc that should display the last 'dr debug' code. Also, I guess you did try to reset the bios(cmos)?