No post, no dr debug, no beep. Rack EPYC D8-2T w/ EPYC 7282

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017
That postcode snooping is basically the last thing check now.
00 and FF usually is a complete Failure to post. Most often caused by a missing 12V EPS connector for the CPU VRM or BIOS incompatibility / issues. If those aren't it, serious problems with the CPU, Chipset and other Board components are likely the issue.

A complete lack of a PostCode, holy moly. That is new to me since most boards and such stuff defaults to 00 or FF as the first displayed code on PowerOn.

Only Idea i have left is, have a look a the Clear-Cmos Pads. If those were to be permanently shorted, maybe that could cause such a behavior.
Other thing, there are 3 ID jumpers that are very badly explained in the manual. There only is a "default" listed.
Are those at default?

I sadly also don't know how those locked CPUs should behave.
All my dead epycs still do some stuff and reset at a point.

So in your testing, to me it looks like either a DELL locked CPU, or dead Board.

Caennanu

May 18, 2021
Yeah i'm not very positive right now. Getting a new BIOS chip from tech support, should be in mail and arrive maybe tommorow. See if that helps. Else its just RMA. But since i cannot test if its a dead board of CPU, ill have to RMA both the CPU and the board.

And as i'm typing this and wanting to log into the ipmi to check that dr debug code . . . .
fairly sure, its dead.

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017
there is usually a jumper on such boards to disable the BMCs remote management, and GPU.
Couldn't find one in the manual.
And if that is hidden behind the ID switches, ASRAck didn't document that.

Caennanu

May 18, 2021
I think i Read that in the manual. But aside for testing i wont disable it. It is one of the key features i want.

Caennanu

May 18, 2021
Alright, turning it off by reseating the jumper doesn't affect the behaviour of the board at all.
It simply stops the BMC from booting, which makes sence. Not that i was getting a heartbeat after this video . . . i can only tell from the fact that the IPMI lan port stays off.