NO NIC found with MAC address...(vSphere 6 to 6.5 Upgrade)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
In the process of upgrading the first of 3 ESXi hosts from 6.0U2 to 6.5U1 (from VCSA 6.5) I found my first host stuck at the following screen.

How do I proceed?

Last edited:

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
What did you use to upgrade the host, built in VUM w/in VCSA 6.5, host upgrade baseline and all that jazz? Could have also taken esxcli patch bundle to take it from 6.0U2 to 6.5U1, or autodeploy w/ baked in 10G goodness/vib's. Assuming that is your 10G Intel SFP+ nic/s that is sad on your Xeon-D setup?

Where is it stuck at? Does it reboot/let you back into ESXi 6.0U1 or completely fubared? I'd try a reboot first of that host to see what state or image load it is in unless you are certain it bombed out early.

Fresh load...maybe...hate to say that but there is not a whole lot of config you lose, take ya 15 mins to get set back up. Maybe a good time to investigate/spend some time w/ Host Profiles and AutoDeploy if you are feelin' froggy. :-D

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
What did you use to upgrade the host, built in VUM w/in VCSA 6.5, host upgrade baseline and all that jazz? Could have also taken esxcli patch bundle to take it from 6.0U2 to 6.5U1, or autodeploy w/ baked in 10G goodness/vib's. Assuming that is your 10G Intel SFP+ nic/s that is sad on your Xeon-D setup?

Where is it stuck at? Does it reboot/let you back into ESXi 6.0U1 or completely fubared? I'd try a reboot first of that host to see what state or image load it is in unless you are certain it bombed out early.

Fresh load...maybe...hate to say that but there is not a whole lot of config you lose, take ya 15 mins to get set back up. Maybe a good time to investigate/spend some time w/ Host Profiles and AutoDeploy if you are feelin' froggy. :-D
Yes kicked off the upgrade through VCSA 6.5 with baseline. A reboot shows that 6.5 is installed. It gets close to fully booted and then goes to a black screen with the No NIC found with MAC address error.

I think at this point you're right, time to reload from scratch. Since all my datastores are shared it's no big thing really.

Any tips/resources on how to upgrade using the esxcli patch bundle that I can try with my other hosts?