EU no longer searching

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
I think i have some (SK Hynix HMT41gu7afr8a-pb), but sending internationally is a bit prohibitive at €14... maybe somebody got some locally for you. If not hit me up.

Reactions: Samir

richard.dzavoronok

Jun 23, 2021
That's right, I hoped for offers from adjacent countries :) I'm looking for some decent offers for a while now, but no luck. Plenty of standard DDR3 unbuffered at 'decent' prices, but no low voltage ones. I'm trying to make my R220s as low power as possible.
Thanks for offer, I'll get back to you if I don't find anything reasonable.

richard.dzavoronok

Jun 23, 2021
Serious question. What's the diff power wise between a 1.35V and 1.5V for 2 sticks? If @Rand__ is no option just let me know.
Current 8gb stick I have installed says 1.5V specs, but the system info says, that it's running at 1.35V. That's why I was searching for low voltage.
I found this article from tom's hardware How Much Power Does Low-Voltage DDR3 Memory Really Save?. Quite old and on consumer setup, but I think I'll just install another 1.5V sticks, as (by the article findings) consumption is lowered by ~0.5W per stick in idle. Not much given the price difference.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
That does not sound like its worth the effort.
If it's 1W total and you have to pay €10 per stick you'll need 4 to 8 years (0,25-0,50€/kWh) to break even. Ok less if u sell the old sticks, but ...

richard.dzavoronok

Jun 23, 2021
That's what I was thinking after I found that article.
The cheapest dd3l sticks I found was around €20 (without shipping) so double that numbers. :) So it seems it's not worth the effort.
"Normal" DDR3 sticks I can get for ~€18 per stick locally (including shipping).

I'll make this thread expired as there is not significant difference between what I can get locally.

Last edited:

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Current 8gb stick I have installed says 1.5V specs, but the system info says, that it's running at 1.35V. That's why I was searching for low voltage.
I found this article from tom's hardware How Much Power Does Low-Voltage DDR3 Memory Really Save?. Quite old and on consumer setup, but I think I'll just install another 1.5V sticks, as (by the article findings) consumption is lowered by ~0.5W per stick in idle. Not much given the price difference.
If the spec on your module is 1.5v, it shouldn't run at 1.35v as most 1.5v modules can't also run at 1.35v, while the 1.35v ones can run at 1.5v.

If this is the case, you may simply have a module that is labelled 1.5v, but is in reality a 1.35v module. So I think it would warrant searching for another identical module and you might get what you want for even cheaper.

As far as saving power, I think what's most important is the load when doing these type of calculations because the savings at full load are going to be something to consider vs at idle.

richard.dzavoronok

Jun 23, 2021
From the graphs in article it looks like difference is ~3W at peak power (Prime 95) for whole system.
Testing system has two sticks, so ~1.5W per stick at 1600MHz (12800 memory).
It also looks like good way to save power is to use slower 1.5V memory as difference at peak power between 1333 (10600) vs 1600 (12800) was ~2W. Maybe even higher difference if using 8500?
Would be interesting to test 1.35V 8500E vs 1.5V 14900E.

I also found this guy: Dell PowerEdge R220 unsupported memory configuration
Had problem with mixing DDR3 and DDR3L memories and I'm not sure right now.

Is it OK to continue in this conversation and my findings in this thread?