Nics with OCP 2.0 Type 1: (Connector A)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

sovking

Jun 2, 2011
Hi guys,
looking at the datasheet of poweredge R7515, it seems that the LOM connector for additional network cards is based on OCP 2.0 standard, type 1, connector A.
Dell online configurator offers only Broadcom based solution for a couple of 1G/10G/25G ports.

I would like to know if anyone had any experience with this type of network cards ? and in particular which other network card based on OCP 2.0, type 1, connector A I could find ?

Thanks

ericloewe

Apr 24, 2017
I'm looking for information around this matter, too. As far as I can tell, Dell used these mezzanine cards on the single-socket Rome/Milan servers (R6515 and R7515) and the R740xd2 and they sure look like OCP NIC 2.0 form factor cards. But...
  1. Is there a mechanical change that makes regular OCP NIC 2.0 cards incompatible?
  2. Is there a software lock in the vein of what is in place for the SAS mezzanine?
  3. Is there a power/thermals limitation in the Dell servers?
The available Broadcom NICs are less than impressive and I'd love to be able to get Intel NICs, even if the OCP NIC 2.0 is a bit of a dead end.