Nice Deal $28 - Adaptec ASR-71605 PCI-E 3.0 x8 16 Port SAS Controller

Sleyk

Mar 25, 2016
Stamford, CT
I did get my requested bracket type when I bought from them a while back, but YMMV of course.

For anyone looking, they've also got got the SFF-8643 to 4xSATA breakout cables a temporary sale for $6.10 w/free shipping in the U.S.
Lol! I just gotta laugh! I have a story about these cables.

I remember offering him close to $7 bucks per cable for a bulk purchase of those exact cables around November 2019. I was looking for one person to buy from, to replace the 8643 cables in all my servers. I had 6 servers currently in operation, with 4 cables each, so would have needed about 24-25 to start, and more to keep for later. I messaged him and even tried to negotiate as I was willing to buy no less than 100 cables bulk at the time. He was kinda annoyed and told me NO! Lol!

Now, look. Covid and a little time has passed and what do we have here? Lol! Selling for $6.10! I kept up with the listing ever since then, and no one was purchasing at his price before. It was too high. He was slightly overcharging. Well, maybe.

Yes, I am a petty son of a gun, but I don't really hold a grudge or anything, but it was just funny to see him doing this sale. People sometimes get annoyed at people looking for a deal, but my $7 x 100ish cables would have gotten him about $700 dollars.

Welp, anyways, glad he's selling them for less now. Pick em up as they are a decent buy for an 8643 cable, especially since things are more expensive now from Covid.

mikkle

Jun 17, 2020
Just to add another data point:

I bought one of these ASR-71605 controllers and it's been working just fine out of the box in my Unraid setup. It's a headless system in an iStarUSA 4U 15-bay trayless case, with a mix of 14 TB and 8 TB drives. I just dropped the card in, rewired the drive enclosure backplanes from my motherboard SATA ports to the Adaptec controller, and the system booted right up. Since I don't have a monitor hooked up I didn't even enter the BIOS. Unraid started up as usual and picked up all my drives instantly.

The card does run very hot, in fact what first brought me to this thread was a Google search for "ASR-71605 heat" :) I removed the heatsink, and sure enough the TIM was all dried up. Cleaned it with Arctic Silver solution and applied new thermal paste, which made a big difference in temps. I also slapped a 60mm Noctua fan on top of the heatsink for good measure. It's a pretty beefy fan which takes up most of the adjacent PCIe slot, so I'll probably switch to one of those GPU brackets once the case gets more crowded.

I actually bought the card (and $6 cables) from that seller above on eBay and requested a full height bracket, but received a low profile bracket instead. Thankfully I had a spare full height bracket.

Reactions: Sleyk

abq

May 23, 2015
I did get my requested bracket type when I bought from them a while back, but YMMV of course.

For anyone looking, they've also got got the SFF-8643 to 4xSATA breakout cables a temporary sale for $6.10 w/free shipping in the U.S.
Do you happen to have the link for cables
? ...I cannot find the cables. Thx Much :)

Last edited:

mikkle

Jun 17, 2020
Do you happen to have the link for cables
? ...I cannot find the cables. The Much :)

Unfortunately, the price looks to have shot up from $6.10 to $15.25. I was looking at it again just a couple of days ago and it was still at the lower price. Still, might be worth making an offer at the $6.10 price, the seller might be sympathetic to the fact they just changed the price on it.

abq

May 23, 2015

Unfortunately, the price looks to have shot up from $6.10 to $15.25. I was looking at it again just a couple of days ago and it was still at the lower price. Still, might be worth making an offer at the $6.10 price, the seller might be sympathetic to the fact they just changed the price on it.
Thank You!

kiteboarder

May 10, 2016
One of the ebay sellers is having a sale on these at only $22.30 shipped plus tax.

The only downside is they can't guarantee which bracket you'll get.
Just a follow up about this seller. I bought one of these cards when it was on sale. I received a card that would not boot - it hung in the firmware initialization. Another fun fact is that the two screws were completely missing that hold on the bbu daughtercard. (I tried to boot the card with and without the daughtercard. ;-)

On the plus side, the seller did refund my money after I mailed it back. YMMV, but just be careful with these cards from this seller. They clearly have not gone through any quality control.

So far I'm 0 for 2 on these cards. The first one I tried (from a different seller) will randomly drop all drives connected to ports 3 and 4.

Cheers

thy.flesh.consumed

Mar 30, 2017
Just a follow up about this seller. I bought one of these cards when it was on sale. I received a card that would not boot - it hung in the firmware initialization. Another fun fact is that the two screws were completely missing that hold on the bbu daughtercard. (I tried to boot the card with and without the daughtercard. ;-)

On the plus side, the seller did refund my money after I mailed it back. YMMV, but just be careful with these cards from this seller. They clearly have not gone through any quality control.

So far I'm 0 for 2 on these cards. The first one I tried (from a different seller) will randomly drop all drives connected to ports 3 and 4.

Cheers
Thanks for the feedback about the seller and sorry to hear about that.

Mine (from a different seller) has been running fine. I updated it to the latest 32118 firmware. It is setup in RAID Expose RAW. I've got two Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSDs mirrored in RAID1 running as boot drive and the rest of twelve 3.5" shucked WDs are connected as HBA JBOD with StableBit DrivePool and SnapRAID running on top. It does run scorching hot, much hotter than LSI 9211 it replaced, so much so that I felt it was necessary to run a fan over it to keep it cool, also the cables DO NEED to be seated all the way in, otherwise they will drop out, could be just the cables that I got with the card, hard to tell. So all in all some gripes, but aside from that it's been good so far. It's really nice to have just a single 16 port card that has enough ports for all of my drives and that can handle both RAID1 and HBA duties at the same time.

klui

Feb 3, 2019
Just a follow up about this seller. I bought one of these cards when it was on sale. I received a card that would not boot - it hung in the firmware initialization.
These cards won't boot on my Supermicro X9DRi. It causes a boot loop after the card's BIOS initializes. But it will boot on an Intel S5500 board.

Other cards like Broadcom 3008/3108 work fine on the motherboard.