NIC firmware update on ROMED8-2T failed?!

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

someserverhope

May 10, 2022
I'm having the exact same no link on port 2. I did the latest intel on FW 3.6 . I just emailed ASRack support, hoping they can release a 3.6 firmware.

someserverhope

May 10, 2022
Thanks for the tip. I followed the instructions and I got an error "An error occurred when updating a firmware module."

I then re-ran the updater and it looks like the updater thinks the firmware is 3.15 now, and says update available. I tried to re-run and got the same error.

I then rebooted and went into my OS, and I at least have link and can get somewhat near the speed I was getting before this.

My second NIC now works as well, but I can't tell what state the firmware is in.

AWBbox

Jul 29, 2021
London, UK
I've only just found this thread after doing pretty much the same thing. Upgraded the X550 controller on my ASRock ROMED4ID-2T to 3.60 which broke one port, and after trying to roll back to 3.15 using the steps in this thread it says it failed and the process has made both ports non-functional!

Please can anyone offer any advice on this? I've really messed this up :(

Attachments

Dolpa

Apr 27, 2017
Hungary
I've only just found this thread after doing pretty much the same thing. Upgraded the X550 controller on my ASRock ROMED4ID-2T to 3.60 which broke one port, and after trying to roll back to 3.15 using the steps in this thread it says it failed and the process has made both ports non-functional!

Please can anyone offer any advice on this? I've really messed this up :(
Hi @AWBbox

I updated this thread, include the solution in top of the first post.
But insert here too: solution

Have a nice day!

AWBbox

Jul 29, 2021
London, UK
Hi @AWBbox

I updated this thread, include the solution in top of the first post.
But insert here too: solution

Have a nice day!
Thank you so much for the reply @Dolpa! I had thought I had followed these steps exactly, the screenshot I shared before was the result when I tried this though, which shows the process failing.

This was when going from 3.60 (Intel) to 3.15 (ASRock) from the link you provided. Have I misunderstood? Do I need to try to go from 3.60 (Intel) -> 3.15 (Intel) -> 3.15 (ASRock) instead?

Dolpa

Apr 27, 2017
Hungary
Thank you so much for the reply @Dolpa! I had thought I had followed these steps exactly, the screenshot I shared before was the result when I tried this though, which shows the process failing.

This was when going from 3.60 (Intel) to 3.15 (ASRock) from the link you provided. Have I misunderstood? Do I need to try to go from 3.60 (Intel) -> 3.15 (Intel) -> 3.15 (ASRock) instead?
The 3.60 has a new EEPID that is 8000172D, so You need to replace 80001578 by 8000172D in the nvmupdate.cfg and sould be works!

AWBbox

Jul 29, 2021
London, UK
The 3.60 has a new EEPID that is 8000172D, so You need to replace 80001578 by 8000172D in the nvmupdate.cfg and sould be works!
That is what I did, and I even tried it using the nvmupdate64e.efi executable found in 3.15, 3.30 and 3.60, but the result is the same. I'm beginning to suspect that the firmware needed for my ROMED4ID-2T is different to the one currently found on the ASRock website.

Attachments

Dolpa

Apr 27, 2017
Hungary
That is what I did, and I even tried it using the nvmupdate64e.efi executable found in 3.15, 3.30 and 3.60, but the result is the same. I'm beginning to suspect that the firmware needed for my ROMED4ID-2T is different to the one currently found on the ASRock website.
Officially that update is for ROMED8-2T and X570D4u-2L2T. This could be the problem.
Try to contact to AsrockRack support.
Good luck!

AWBbox

Jul 29, 2021
London, UK
I wanted to provide an update to this, as it has not gone well for me. I can only hope that anyone else with a ROMED4ID-2T motherboard sees this post before deciding to try upgrading the NIC firmware like I did...

ASRock support have been good honestly, but their LAN firmware team have advised that although the NIC on the ROMED4ID-2T appears to be a regular Intel X550-AT2, both the firmware and update tools are proprietary to ASRock.

The use of any Intel firmware will corrupt the controller, and Intel firmware tools cannot be used to repair it, and the ASRock firmware and update tools are subject to a strict non-disclosure agreement and cannot be shared with customers. I have had to dismantle my newly-built hypervisor to RMA the motherboard back to them, which has been soul destroying.

So please, anyone with a ROMED4ID-2T, DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES TRY TO UPGRADE THE NIC FIRMWARE!! It's not designed to be modified and you will destroy your controller :(

Last edited:

Dolpa

Apr 27, 2017
Hungary
Did you manage to update your ROMED8-2T board to 3.6?
I dont' use the intel firmware updater anymore, I just responded to intel -> asrock downgrade.
But I updated the latest Asrock BMC 01.27.00 and BIOS 3.50 for this MB last week and now all working fine.
This BIOS has the X-550 firmware-version: 0x80001373, 1.2829.0. I use it with latest Debian linux with no problem.

zanechua

May 6, 2016
I dont' use the intel firmware updater anymore, I just responded to intel -> asrock downgrade.
But I updated the latest Asrock BMC 01.27.00 and BIOS 3.50 for this MB last week and now all working fine.
This BIOS has the X-550 firmware-version: 0x80001373, 1.2829.0. I use it with latest Debian linux with no problem.
Ah.

I didn't know the BIOS/BMC included updates to the X550 chip too.

Cool!

slidermike

May 7, 2023
@Dolpa
You are going to laugh but the IO shield tabs on the RJ45 ports were pushing my RJ45 connectors down and preventing them to make proper contact. I bent those tabs and it works as expected.
@octave I had a similar user issue with mine. The io shield went into both 10gbe ports as well. Took me some time to realize that. o_O
I still have connectivity issues but I suspect it is related to the generic 2.5gbe switch and intel 10gbe not able to negotiate correctly. Still trying to figure that out.

Last edited:

slidermike

May 7, 2023
For those of us with the Romed8-2t. Asrock released a new firmware today.
3.80 - updated AGESA.
Global
The BMC remains the same.
1697856540724.png

erikwestlund

Dec 10, 2023
I want to follow up to anyone having these issues. I was having trouble with my NICs on my new ROMED8-2T board. Updated BIOS for the board, BMC, and the Intel firmware. Still no luck.

Turns out, like others on this board, the IO shield for the motherboard was preventing the NIC from getting a connection. Bent the pins back and it's all good.

Reactions: slidermike

Current User

Aug 5, 2023
unfortunately i did the stunt on a SM X12-SPi board
on the supermicro dl section was the full PRO_v27.6.1.zip
intel driver provided for downloading.
silly me spotted the 'NVMUpdatePackage' folder and
i successfully flashed the 3.60 for the x550 :eek:
now port two is dead :(

i wrote to the sm support, no info so far.
meanwhile i thought i try the rollback
but i am not able to find the correct procedure
-r -m just do nothing here.

maybe someone here has mastered such a scenario
and can help out
:oops:

EDiT:
the support of supermicro sent me a nvmupdatepackage which solved my issue :)
port two is online again :D

Last edited:
Reactions: Dolpa