NFS client shares not re-mounting after server recovery?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
I'm having an issue where all the NFS shares I have mounted in my Ubuntu server are not re-mounting or auto-recovering after the NFS server comes back online after a failure.

I have two sets of NFS shares mounted in my server and then pooled via MergerFS for a sort of HA for my bulk media storage. However, if one of the NFS servers goes down for an extended period and then comes back online, I have to manually remount the shares to access that data again. Can this be automated? My nfs mounts look like this:

Code:
<server>:/mnt/***   /mnt/***   nfs rw,hard,intr,rsize=4194304,wsize=4194304,timeo=14 0 0
I though the 'hard' option would cause the client to continuously try and re-mount the share but that doesn't appear to be what's happening.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Have you tired with soft mounts? The hard option is typically used to prevent corruption through a failed write, but for a media share, soft should work better and may prevent a potential freeze if the underlying filesystem is not available. Or, just use something like this instead :)

nfs_automount/README.md at master · vwal/nfs_automount · GitHub
I have no tried soft mounts but I have seen some freezes when the NFS mounts become unavailable so I will give them a try.

Also, that nfs_automount script looks VERY promising. Thanks a lot for the link I will def. test that out tomorrow.