NextCloud opinions?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

NashBrydges

Apr 30, 2015
I've been using Nextcloud for quite a while now. Love it! Probably the best file sharing app I've ever used. Is there anything specific you are curious about?

Logan

Feb 22, 2017
Thanks for the reply. I'm thinking of using it for a situation where many users will be uploading, but very few will be downloading. I haven't looked into the customization options too much -- do you happen to know if it's easy to hide non-upload functionality from the users who won't need it?

NashBrydges

Apr 30, 2015
1.png
When you share a folder, you can choose to make it read only, set an expiration date...etc. You can also create a separate folder for people to upload to where only uploads are allowed (lets you scan files for malicious content for example). You can also set rules for users for limits on upload file types or sizes via the File Access Control. You can automatically tag files based on various parameters (I like to use the username to tag files to restrict access) and you can also set file retention parameters based on tags.

Reactions: Logan

Logan

Feb 22, 2017
Thanks, ability to set upload-only is what I was looking for, glad to hear that's built-in. Think I'll give it a try.

NashBrydges

Apr 30, 2015
You can also customize the look and feel which I've done to match my branding and logos/colors. Too much customization might be difficult to maintain through the various upgrades as they overwrite files but as long as you know which files you've changed to customize, you're all set.

I have made my Nextcloud instance available to clients to allow them to share large files with their customers/clients instead of using email. I've set it up so that individuals from only a subset of domains can self-register on the server which allows them to share files. For example, only users of domaina.com and domainb.com can self-register while everyone else gets a "sorry but you don't match the allowed domains" message. This means I don't have to manage registration each time.

Logan

Feb 22, 2017
Thanks, probably going to use Ubuntu. Also checking out docker, which I've never used, for easier deployment to multiple nodes.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Linux Babe... lol ppppfffttt no "about us"... must be run by dudes :p :p:D