Nexenta - stalled company?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

dswartz

Jul 14, 2011
Besides which, I think it doesn't make much sense for a company like nexenta to completely change the underlying OS unless there is no choice at all. It's a huge amount of work and impacts their customer base. Changing from some flavor of opensolaris to something like illumos is much less disruptive.

jingjing

Banned
Nov 23, 2013
Granted, the commercial licenses were always that way, but making that kind of a change for the community edition in the middle of a "dot" release showed poor character in my opinion.

noki

Feb 10, 2014
End of february is approaching, except for activities on github no new maintenance releases for the commercial product have appeared nor have I seen anything new of relevance about Nexenta 4.0.x beta on their forums. Additionnaly their CEO talking about a Linux-based "Nexenta Edge" product for Tier-2 class unstructured data storage further confuses me on what the company is after (The Register).

NexentaStor 4.x with every day of no-release, no-news is going straight for becoming the next Duke Nukem Forever in storage ;-)
Possibly people who have signed an NDA with them may know little more, but I doubt.

dswartz

Jul 14, 2011
Dude, come on. 4.0 has slipped how many times? And what, a year now? Julie Herd (another person no longer there) announced back in December it would be available in January. You remember January? The month before the month before this month? At this point, until and unless they actually announce the availability of a *real* download (including a community edition), they have zero credibility.

Last edited: