News Consumption Survery

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Riyad Alalami

Feb 19, 2020
Hi Guys,

I am trying to reach people who are interested in the consumption of news, and trying to get a large sample. As I am collecting data for a news subscription service that would aim to unify as many news paper outlets as possible under one subscription. Removing or dependency from ads, and therefore becoming the consumer again instead of being the product.

Thank you for filling up the survey it will help me get a bit further into our pursuit of money independent press.

News Consumption Poll

Another question That I didn't add to the survey is whether this should be a decentralized non profit organization or a for profit organization?

I am leaning towards the first.

And the main important part behind this is that we cannot censor or not allow anyone from joining this. The organizations goal should be to just funnel the money directly from people to news organization with zero profit, maybe only maintenance and server fees for the organization.

Dreece

Jan 22, 2019
It's all FAKE news these days anyway, it swings from doom-and-gloom to bullshit-political-correctness, the underpinning idea of news is condition public sentiment either for or against political/capitalist/globalist narratives. No REAL middle-ground anymore.

My news outlet is now limited to a few websites, STH RSS feed for one, don't have time for consumption, unless the title is something like "AMD Zen 3 tested and OMG!" or "Intel dropped CPU prices by half".

Good luck on your venture though! :)

Reactions: Rock

amalurk

Dec 16, 2016
It's all FAKE news these days anyway, it swings from doom-and-gloom to bullshit-political-correctness, the underpinning idea of news is condition public sentiment either for or against political/capitalist/globalist narratives. No REAL middle-ground anymore.

My news outlet is now limited to a few websites, STH RSS feed for one, don't have time for consumption, unless the title is something like "AMD Zen 3 tested and OMG!" or "Intel dropped CPU prices by half".

Good luck on your venture though! :)
Yep all the brains that get used are tired from the constant barrage of provably false statements from poor and divisive leadership. However, believing it is all fake news is still a lazy cop-out and an enabler of the situation we find ourselves in. It allows false equivalences to thrive and alternate facts to take root in pundits' culture war vendettas.

Dreece

Jan 22, 2019
True, but 'lazy cop-out' is the most stress-free solution at my age I'm afraid. Used to filter through all the nonsense once upon a time, however only later one realises there is a subliminal side-effect, the human mind works in mysterious ways.

Now I have my horse and a few dogs, I leave the world in the hands of the progressive millennials.

Dreece

Jan 22, 2019
Which ones? Would think a college professor would read a few newspapers or websites a day.
Sure, there's a few billion bodies out there, many of whom are consuming 'news'.
The professors I know, not at all, members of whitepaper communities yes and the odd smartphone glance, but the days of picking up the paper and reading over breakfast/break-times are long gone, no matter how hard hollywood tries to condition us into thinking that's what the elders do.

Psychological conditioning, social engineering, etc etc etc... you either take part, or you step-away and muck out the stables/tinker-with-hardware, I choose the latter, proudly.

Last edited:

Dreece

Jan 22, 2019
Well, I do keep an eye on Matt's vids:

You learn something, you smile here and there, whilst sitting back with a well-aged cognac and an ecig (the better half banned my cigars inside the house now, something to do with passive smoking I believe)

teafarer

Jan 23, 2020
VA
Most of my news consumption now is via a couple of email newsletters that summarize things or through aggregation websites. Basically ways where I can get a general sense of the state of things without going in deep unless I really want to do so.

I've yet to find a news source (even ones I generally like) that are worth paying for on their own, so I like the idea of a "bundle" of news sources in a subscription. That said, sometimes I think "summarized" news is enough for me so I don't know that, depending on price, if it would feel worth it to even pay for a bundle/subscription.

The few times I want to go in deep and read full articles do not happen often enough for me to consider paying. I do also practice strong ad-blocking on every device I use- so I definitely still am interested in seeing new ideas like this that could help news somehow work its way out of the ad model.

Stephan

Apr 21, 2017
Germany
For what it's worth (I guess people will read the topic), I've been living alot better by cutting down on news drastically, especially "brain sugary" tabloid and national news. Also any TV stations or news-y apps. There is an older article out by Rolf Dobelli called "Avoid News" which I can highly recommend.

I still read local news for a 20 mile radius because chances are slight, they could affect or interest me. And of course I still read some selected IT news, because my job requires to stay on top of the sector. Everything else is special interest, be it people on Twitter or Github or some RSS feed.

Less is way more.