Newer Supermicro PSU's to upgrade an old box with newer tech

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Stanza

Jan 11, 2014
OK I know bugger all about electrikery...

I found an old Supermicro (looks like CSE-745 chassis) but I believe maybe an older 7045B-8R gen chassis. ?? could be a 745 tho?

Currently it has a H8DM3-2 board in it. Gobbles a little bit of power.:oops:
Tho it has 2 x quad core cpu's and can take the 6 core HE ones cheaply. (eg 6 core cpu's can be had for $9.99 on ebay)

It's got 16gb Ram as well.:)

But here is my question

Currently it has 2 x PSU's in it.

One is a PWS-801-1R, other is a PWS-902-1R (yeah weird I know, but thats how it came)o_O

Looking around I see the larger, but more efficient PSU's eg PWS-1K21P-1R for cheap (about $60 on ebay)

and looking at the test report for these newer PSU's
http://www.supermicro.com/products/powersupply/80PLUS/80PLUS_PWS-1K21P-1R.pdf

They look right in my sweet spot for cruising at 89 > 92 odd % efficiency at 242 > 604W @ 240V

Looking at the pic's of the backplane connector, and also Supermicro's specs on LxWxH etc... To me it looks like they would fit....

eg
my 701 looks like this

and the 902 looks like the 1K21P (solid on the RHS)

I am guessing the connectors on the RHS are Earths?

So physically I recon it would work.

Not that I plan to have this mother on 24 / 7..... probably more of a 3rd backup target...
Eg Nas 1 Backs up to Nas 2 Daily..... and maybe do a non deleting (until it's full) backup to this server every 3 days

Or maybe even swap the guts for the E5 Intel board I nabbed cheap and use it as my main Desktop for a while.

I like the chassis, it's a little noisy but already I am sourcing the quieter 4pin Supermicro fans to calm the beast.

If so then the more efficient (and maybe quieter) PSU will come into it's own.

Worth the $60 gamble? (plus a new power backplane if it lets the magic black smoke out?) to find out?

:cool:

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
I don't know if the PWS1k21P will work in that PSU receiver or not. You may have trouble with the mating of the connectors. Its probably OK but I don't know anyone who has tested.

I do know - first hand - that these two newer, quieter and efficient models are 100% plug compatible:

PWS-501P-1R - 500 watt Platinum
PWS-721P-1R - 720 watt Platinum
PWS-920P-1R - 920 watt Platinum
PWS-920P-SQ - 920 watt Platinum super-quiet version

All four show up regularly on eBay

The entire Supermicro power supply lineup is here: Super Micro Computer, Inc. | Support

Reactions: admiraljkb