Newegg - Seagate ST3000DM001 3TB Hard Drive $119.99

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

wyluliraven

Nov 6, 2012
Atlanta, GA
My only concern with these drives is their warranty. -.-

"What's in the box: Seagate 3 TB Barracuda 3.5" Internal Hard Drive (7200rpm) and 1 Year Limited Warranty. " That just pisses me off.

wyluliraven

Nov 6, 2012
Atlanta, GA
Well, Newegg lists them as 2 year warranty, Amazon lists them as 1 year warranty.

On Seagate's website the following is listed on the Desktop HDD Manual.pdf:
"determine the warranty for a specific drive, use a web browser to access the following web page:
support.seagate.com/customer/warranty_validation.jsp
From this page, click on the “Verify Your Warranty” link. You will be asked to provide the drive serial number, model number (or part number) and country of
purchase. The system will display the warranty information for your drive"

This means it greatly depends on your vendor of choice as to your warranty coverage on the drive. Something to consider.

BigXor

May 6, 2011
Pennsylvania, USA
bigxor.com
These drives are on many NAS and the Adaptec 6 and 7 series compatibility lists. Probably because of there Smart-Align.

A just sold a pile of Toshiba/Hitachi Advance Format drives on ebay because they are very slow at initializing and verify/fix. I set a raid 6 5drive array of 3 TB Hitachi's to verify/fix and after 2 days it was only at 82%. The Seagate's were done in 18 hours.

Chuckleb

Mar 5, 2013
Minnesota
Have anyone used these drives? We had bought a small batch then bought more... ended up with about 100. Then we started having problems with the drives not recognizing with certain LSI+Supermicro problems. Could never get a good answer from anyone and we tested quite a bit... so we decided to swap out for WD Red drives. These are about the same and 0 failures or compatibility problems with over 96 deployed for a month now.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Have anyone used these drives? We had bought a small batch then bought more... ended up with about 100. Then we started having problems with the drives not recognizing with certain LSI+Supermicro problems. Could never get a good answer from anyone and we tested quite a bit... so we decided to swap out for WD Red drives. These are about the same and 0 failures or compatibility problems with over 96 deployed for a month now.
What are you using all those drives for? Nice data point though

Which controllers? HBA or RAID?

Chuckleb

Mar 5, 2013
Minnesota
We've been doing bulk storage for researchers. Our current design (I don't have handy) is:

36 drive Supermicro chassis with dual socket AMD boards and requisite ram.
LSI 9265-8i cards
Onboard SAS

We usually buy disks in stacks of 12 drives (1 global hot spare, 11 drives in a RAID6) if we are populating the 36 drive enclosures. We do packs of 15 for the 45 drive expansion shells and we run these off of the LSI card.

We also test using single path and dual path setups, onboard SAS, 9211 HBA, Adaptec controllers. So it seems for us there is something odd in the backplanes of the systems and we've swapped backplanes and tried on about 4 enclosures. Certain ports won't take the drive but will take an Enterprise SATA or SAS drive just fine.

In our new model, we use Red drives everywhere and keep a stack of 8 or so enterprise SATA drives on hand to slide in if the port stops working.

I might have a fun article about backups to write about for you if I can get this last piece tested...

RimBlock

Sep 18, 2011
Singapore
I am currently running 5 of the 2TB versions on a HP P812 SAS controller in raid 5.

Have not seen any issues for the few months they have been running.

Was considering getting some more or some of the CS series.

RB

aubsxc

Apr 19, 2011
Columbia, SC
I've been using 3 of the 3TB drives since I picked them up at newegg at Thanksgiving for $89 a pop. Very fast and no issues so far.

mrkrad

Oct 13, 2012
P812 loves hp drives . Wait until ones goes consumer deep cycle or passes ECC errors through the p812. P812 does not validate the data from sata drives. If its corrupt it loads up

RimBlock

Sep 18, 2011
Singapore
P812 loves hp drives . Wait until ones goes consumer deep cycle or passes ECC errors through the p812. P812 does not validate the data from sata drives. If its corrupt it loads up
But deep cycle this is common with desktop drives. I don't see how that relates to the specific drive only that the OP asked about.

What you are talking about is issues using desktop SATA drives on a Enterprise controller. There are well documented issues that can result but as my data is pretty static and in a home environment it is not too much of a concern. I am less concerned with a 2bit (or more) memory error on the controller than having no error correction at all.

If I were looking at hosting production data then it would be a different matter, hence also mentioning the Seagate CS series.

RB