Newegg has Seagate 8TB easyshucks $125

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Only a 1yr warranty? Wow, the support is starting to border on used equipment. :oops:

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Just recently bought a used Hitachi 8TB SAS drive from eBay for about that price. A better deal in my opinion.

Reactions: Samir

msg7086

May 2, 2017
I have some Seagate 8TB SMRs. Whenever you write pass the cache amount, writing speed goes to shit. Absolutely shit. I've seen 700KB/s write speed, some of my friends and some redditers also confirmed <1MB/s writes sustained under fragmented writing conditions, such as torrenting.

Sequential writing is much better, I see as fast as 30-40MB/s, which is only 5 times slower. So as long as you can bear with only 5 times slower writing speed you should feel free to buy it.

madbrain

Jan 5, 2019
I have some Seagate 8TB SMRs. Whenever you write pass the cache amount, writing speed goes to shit. Absolutely shit. I've seen 700KB/s write speed, some of my friends and some redditers also confirmed <1MB/s writes sustained under fragmented writing conditions, such as torrenting.

Sequential writing is much better, I see as fast as 30-40MB/s, which is only 5 times slower. So as long as you can bear with only 5 times slower writing speed you should feel free to buy it.
I have one of those too. Have definitely seen the 30 MB/s writes. And I think the <1MB/s writes too .

I do find it odd that WD Red SMR drive in the article performed well or better than CMR as a single drive, but so much worse in a ZFS resilver test.

Nevertheless, seems like one would be wise to stay away from SMR for arrays.

Reactions: Samir

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
I do find it odd that WD Red SMR drive in the article performed well or better than CMR as a single drive...
This is what actually didn't surprise me in the article because it has to have some sort of pro to even be viable or the previous product will actually be what everyone wants. For the desktop the smr can be a win in terms of performance and maybe even price.