[Newegg] ASRock Rack D1541D4U-2O8R mATX 8-core Xeon D-1541 mobo with SFP+ $179!

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
If such a modern atom was available, but there is no new cpu for server platforms with the new atom cores so it’s not a discussion, and a C3000 is still a long way behind D1500 in performance.

given the D1541 supermicro boards new have been around $400 sometimes in 2021 that’s all I would pay. (Granted that a board with only the 1G NIC)

Fact is for a moderately powerful system supporting 128gb and low power it’s all that’s on the market, the other option is the e-2200 kind of Xeon with much high clocks but also good power consumption, downside is no rdimm support

sparx

Jul 16, 2015
Sweden
Yeah the Atom has probably not made any big chips lately. But the Amd Epyc 3200 versions of the Supermicro board should be a lot better than the Xeon D 1500-series.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Yes the epyc 3251 was ok, somewhere between the d1500 and d2100 in both performance and power consumption.

apparently a lot of people have been having issues with the firmware in general, it’s kind of a low volume part so doesn’t get so much love.

rootshell

Jan 10, 2021
Thanks Guys.

Your discussion over the last 6 posts is about what I was thinking as well. Xeon D-1541 with embedded SFP+ and HBA would be ideal, but street prices are bloated to the point of NIB being about 2x what they should be... not to mention the tech is ancient, now pushing 5 years old. And despite being 5 years old, the used/Ebay market is barren. I've been looking daily for months - there's nothing out there for these highly optioned (SFP+, LSI HBA) MBs. Smaller 4 core with no HBA and 1GbE - sure, can find those used all day.

I considered embedded EPYC 3k series. My concern is the same firmware/microcode issues other have run into, there's not a ton of MB options out there, plus if I'm going to have to add a SFP+ AIC and an HBA AIC, many of 3251 embedded are maxed or beyond PCIe slot support at that point. Not to mention this isn't a super popular platform.

Full EPYC Milan or Xeon Scalable would be great, but suck power, and purchase cost new beyond what I was planning to spend. MBs are pushing $500+, CPU is another $500-1k. etc.

My concern with the Atom c series is it too is pushing 3 years old, and not sure it has the single thread horsepower I need.

I think I'm landing on either a new Xeon e-2300, or better yet, Xeon W-1300 platform. I know idle power will be higher, but buys me a lot more headroom with turbo clocks pushing 5 GHz. They also have an iGPU helping with Plex and other apps leveraging QuickSync (such as Blue Iris). Also have PCIe 4 support. The W-1300 series seems to be much cheaper than the E-2300 series equivalent -- not sure why, they're basically the same chip. I'm thinking something like a W-1370 + SM W580 workstation MB (has 3 NVME m.2 support). Then add in a SFP+ and HBA. Downside will be idle power consumption... not exactly sure where that will put me. Hoping not too bad since the 2 chips are basically a re-packaged desktop CPU.

May 4, 2015
Thanks Guys.

Your discussion over the last 6 posts is about what I was thinking as well. Xeon D-1541 with embedded SFP+ and HBA would be ideal, but street prices are bloated to the point of NIB being about 2x what they should be... not to mention the tech is ancient, now pushing 5 years old. And despite being 5 years old, the used/Ebay market is barren. I've been looking daily for months - there's nothing out there for these highly optioned (SFP+, LSI HBA) MBs. Smaller 4 core with no HBA and 1GbE - sure, can find those used all day.

I considered embedded EPYC 3k series. My concern is the same firmware/microcode issues other have run into, there's not a ton of MB options out there, plus if I'm going to have to add a SFP+ AIC and an HBA AIC, many of 3251 embedded are maxed or beyond PCIe slot support at that point. Not to mention this isn't a super popular platform.

Full EPYC Milan or Xeon Scalable would be great, but suck power, and purchase cost new beyond what I was planning to spend. MBs are pushing $500+, CPU is another $500-1k. etc.

My concern with the Atom c series is it too is pushing 3 years old, and not sure it has the single thread horsepower I need.

I think I'm landing on either a new Xeon e-2300, or better yet, Xeon W-1300 platform. I know idle power will be higher, but buys me a lot more headroom with turbo clocks pushing 5 GHz. They also have an iGPU helping with Plex and other apps leveraging QuickSync (such as Blue Iris). Also have PCIe 4 support. The W-1300 series seems to be much cheaper than the E-2300 series equivalent -- not sure why, they're basically the same chip. I'm thinking something like a W-1370 + SM W580 workstation MB (has 3 NVME m.2 support). Then add in a SFP+ and HBA. Downside will be idle power consumption... not exactly sure where that will put me. Hoping not too bad since the 2 chips are basically a re-packaged desktop CPU.
I have one of these just sitting in a itx box right now: X10SDV-4C-TLN2F if you are interested in it, I would be willing to let it go fairly cheap