Newbie sanity check, ordering a HBA card, is this what i need?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Failquail

Jan 22, 2020
Sorry for the post, been utterly confusing myself of late and it's for cable/card types i've never used before, so i'd like someone to check this will likely work :)

Case i've ordered is the Silverstone CS381 chassis. With my old PC's AMD B350 + 1700 CPU + 32GB RAM combo in it as my new NAS/VM build...
Got it all up and running for now in a temp old ATX case with unraid, but the storage config is new to me on the new case...

I need a HBA card, some list sata/sas, some list sas only, is there a difference between the two? I'll be using SATA HDDs.
I found this one, would this work? If you know of cheaper i'd be interested :)
And cables, this one? Any better options welcome...

Last edited:

j_h_o

Apr 21, 2015
California, US
Sorry, what are the 2 cards you're considering? I think I only see 1 card.

Yes, the cable you linked to should be fine; it might be better to find a shorter cable though.

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
Assuming you are in UK /EU. The HBA you linked and cables will work.
There are instructions here in the forums to update the card to LSI firmware.
If you are looking for cheaper options, 6gbps SAS cards will also work. Your hard drives are SATA. You will need mini SAS to HD SAS (sff-8087 to Sff-8643) cables. The HP H220 is a LSI2308 based card and here in US you can get them for about $35.

there is a thread on HP H240 for that price. That is a 12gbps controller. Not sure of the driver support under unraid. Someone else here can verify.

Failquail

Jan 22, 2020
Assuming you are in UK /EU. The HBA you linked and cables will work.
There are instructions here in the forums to update the card to LSI firmware.
If you are looking for cheaper options, 6gbps SAS cards will also work. Your hard drives are SATA. You will need mini SAS to HD SAS (sff-8087 to Sff-8643) cables. The HP H220 is a LSI2308 based card and here in US you can get them for about $35.

there is a thread on HP H240 for that price. That is a 12gbps controller. Not sure of the driver support under unraid. Someone else here can verify.
Thank you for the replies (and apologies for the accidental double post)

I think i'll try this H220 option first as it's so much cheaper, $30 for the card is much better than a $95 card when i'm alien to said standards... Worst case i can just re-ebay it :)