newbie here, please review this config

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

heja2009

Nov 21, 2012
Hi

planning to build my first real server, asking for any comments

Build’s Name: oloroso
Operating System/ Storage Platform: FreeBSD 9.1
CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1240V2 3.4GHz
Motherboard: supermicro X9SCM-iiF (C204)
Chassis: Fractal Design Arc Midi Tower
Drives: 8x3TB (Seagate or Hitachi)
RAM: 32GB ECC DDR3-1333
Add-in Cards: 1xIBM M1015 PCIe 8-port SATA3
Power Supply: Seasonic G-550 (520W)
Other Bits: 2x32GB SSD for redundant boot

Usage Profile: pure file server, will be in link aggregated 2GBit/s network, OS X, Windows and mobile clients
zfs mirrored pool of 4 disks (2x4=8 disks total), I would like to run dedup if possible

Thanks in advance

Mike

May 29, 2012
EU
I don't know what the current status is about the *LM NIC driver for BSD but i figure its better than esxi, probably the biggest reason the iiF version of this board was made.
You might want to review that and save a few bucks by going with the SCM-F, plus get an extra pcie slot.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I don't know what the current status is about the *LM NIC driver for BSD but i figure its better than esxi, probably the biggest reason the iiF version of this board was made.
You might want to review that and save a few bucks by going with the SCM-F, plus get an extra pcie slot.
Also on the X9SCM-F, because of using the LM NIC LAN 1 and LAN 2 are switched. Causes confusion for some customers which also drove the X9SCM-iiF. Had a nice sit down at Supermicro about this 2 months ago or so.

Jeggs101

Dec 29, 2010
I don't think you have enough ram for de-dupe and zfs. The freebsd zfs version is nowhere near the latest and I think dedupe performance is weak.

heja2009

Nov 21, 2012
just wanted so say thanks to all of you.
just ordered the server.
WD RED as disks, no SSDs for now.
kept the iiF since I want to play it safe and the price difference was minor.
mmh ..... dedup ... nooo, must resist ....

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
just wanted so say thanks to all of you.
just ordered the server.
WD RED as disks, no SSDs for now.
kept the iiF since I want to play it safe and the price difference was minor.
mmh ..... dedup ... nooo, must resist ....
Great! Take some pics and show us the build when you do it. Can't wait to see the results.