New to home lab server stuff

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Curggles

May 4, 2020
Hello all so i was looking into setting up a home domain and storage setup at home im pretty new to this. I gather you need a domain controller dns and dhcp server and then as well the file server or nas of choice? I was curious can all these be virtualized and run of one set of hardware or shoulld it be split between two systems. Currently i dont believe i have the machine for it im tinkering with a supermicro x9rw-f with xeon e5 1620 v1 so only 4 cores 8 threads. Im atleast getting back into linux with it and tinkering. Any thoughts or advice would be awesome.

isaacwiebe

Nov 24, 2018
Get started on that box for sure, don't let the gear hold you back from experimenting. Just be aware you'll out grow it fairly quick. Could be a really robust pfSense box in the future (if you want to go bare metal, which is how I roll) If you're looking for a hyper-converged setup (VMs/Storage/etc) on the same platform I'd look at TrueNAS Core or Proxmox, both have great community support to get you going. Once you've got some momentum there's tons of great hardware out there to pickup.

Curggles

May 4, 2020
Ya i want to kinda be a little hybrid vm some stuff but storage and probably pfsense be their own hardware