New to building home server-X10SRM-F BIOS questions

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ColdDayInHell

Dec 15, 2019
First post here, so here it goes.

I'm building my first home server this week, mostly for Plex. I've built many PCs but never a server grade machine.

So, my options for W10 OS install is my 64GB Satadom or Toshiba 1TB m.2 NVMe.

Is there an easier one to load onto via Rufus (USB)?

Do I need to do anything in the BIOS beforehand?

I haven't built it yet because my CPU should be arriving tomorrow and it's the last part I need!

I just like to know what I'm getting into beforehand. Thanks in advance and here's a link to the build.

j_h_o

Apr 21, 2015
California, US
Windows is generally unsuitable for the 64GB SATADOM. It will want more space, and the amount of writes is not ideal for it. The Toshiba m.2 drive is probably best.

Set the BIOS to boot from UEFI devices only (skip Legacy boot) and use Rufus to make the install USB key.

Your board has IPMI; you can also do an install using the onboard management interface by mounting the Windows 10 ISO on another computer. Even without the CPU (or powering on the system) if you connect the IPMI port, and give the board power, it should get a DHCP IP address. Access it using ADMIN/ADMIN (if factory configuration) and explore... :)

ColdDayInHell

Dec 15, 2019
Windows is generally unsuitable for the 64GB SATADOM. It will want more space, and the amount of writes is not ideal for it. The Toshiba m.2 drive is probably best.

Set the BIOS to boot from UEFI devices only (skip Legacy boot) and use Rufus to make the install USB key.

Your board has IPMI; you can also do an install using the onboard management interface by mounting the Windows 10 ISO on another computer. Even without the CPU (or powering on the system) if you connect the IPMI port, and give the board power, it should get a DHCP IP address. Access it using ADMIN/ADMIN (if factory configuration) and explore... :)
Thanks.

It actually worked through USB. I tried the IPMI mounting method numerous times. It found the .iso but wouldn't load it.

It runs great, except the fans, ugh. I spent all day trying to calm down the pulsing. I just now fixed it but it resets on reboot.