New Supermicro Supermicro H11DSI-NT Amd Epyc DOA?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

kaltek2599

Feb 29, 2020
i run m2.2280 nvme ssd, not 2,5 inch nmve.

plz, keep us updated with your progres
I flashed the bios to 2.1 from ipmi, post snooping changed from 91 code to ff on reboot. Taking out the second CPU allows it to boot properly and POST snoop shows ab. Not sure if I'm not installing CPU2 correctly, I used a Threadripper torque screw and it is a Lotes socket, yet the second one wasn't properly slotting down without some finagling, tried loosening the screws like William suggested above, so far no joy. I am tempted to remove the CPU in socket 1 and try this one in there to make sure this CPU is functional, but if it's a CPU issue, I'm also terrified of losing what seems to be a working setup with CPU1. In hindsight wondering if I should have opted for single socket board, more PCIe slots and more straightforward. I bought the motherboard new on ebay and the CPUs used, both sellers have good ratings and given one CPU is working fine, not sure the other isn't. I'm seeing similar behavior to the original poster where turning the power on turns the board on except that at least CPU1 works fine. Any suggestions?

kaltek2599

Feb 29, 2020
I swapped the second CPU into slot 1 , it booted up fine so at least I know the both CPUs and slot 1 are good :) now to try the first CPU in slot 2, fingers crossed!

kaltek2599

Feb 29, 2020
And POST Snoop code shows 91 again, no display on the IPMI :( right back where I started but on latest BIOS and with processors swapped, I'll try changing how slot 2 is mounted , had to finagle screw 1 in again , something about it seems off

ari2asem

Dec 26, 2018
The Netherlands, Groningen
And POST Snoop code shows 91 again, no display on the IPMI :( right back where I started but on latest BIOS and with processors swapped, I'll try changing how slot 2 is mounted , had to finagle screw 1 in again , something about it seems off
maybe broken socket #2?? do you have memories installed for socket #2, too?

kaltek2599

Feb 29, 2020
I think so too, I used 1 stick in each B1 slot. IPMI never registered CPU2 and I never got a display with it mounted. Since each CPU works in socket 1 I gave up and initiated a return on the motherboard. While I would have loved to have a 2P unit with 64 cores and 128 threads, I'll settle for 2 servers with 1P each, maybe I'll get to 64 cores when I upgrade to Rome :) Thank you for your help

68k-dude

Jan 2, 2020
Hello kaltek2599 o/

I recently put together a H11DSi-NT system. I wanted to have a play with an EPYC system for a bit of fun.

I got a pair of "refurbished" CPUs from an etailer and put it together.

1 CPU and ram at first. All OK

2 CPUs no boot. Managed to get to the web interface and discovered Post Code 91 . With the latest firmware.

I tried swapping memory sticks and swapping CPUs . It always worked with a single CPU and not both.

I thought it was a bad CPU socket and was thinking of giving up on the board.

Then while in BIOS with a single CPU I noticed the CPU model number was not what I had purchased.

I had been sent a non matching pair of CPUs . Important safety tip : Check the tiny little part numbers prior to fitting.

Post 91 may be indicative of a CPU Mismatch on these Supermicro boards.

Have a check of your CPUs you never know.

Best regards

P.S They sent me a more expensive one.

BaBa

Mar 6, 2020
@Foxy

Did you ever solve your problem, I have two retail 7451 chips and an H11Dsi and H11ssl with the 7451 chips I get boot code 78 in ipmi and no display.
Both boards boot fine with either 7401 or 7601 chips ,I have updated the bios to the latest version tried different ram ,did I just get two bad chips?

68k-dude

Jan 2, 2020
@Foxy

Did you ever solve your problem, I have two retail 7451 chips and an H11Dsi and H11ssl with the 7451 chips I get boot code 78 in ipmi and no display.
Both boards boot fine with either 7401 or 7601 chips ,I have updated the bios to the latest version tried different ram ,did I just get two bad chips?

Hello BaBa o/

I found this page from Supermicro Product Manuals | Support - Super Micro Computer, Inc.

There are some AMI POST Code manuals on it. See Section AMI BIOS POST Codes User's Guide.

0x78 ACPI module initialization

I look at the next one often too

0x79 CSM initialization

Good luck

BaBa

Mar 6, 2020
Hello BaBa o/

I found this page from Supermicro Product Manuals | Support - Super Micro Computer, Inc.

There are some AMI POST Code manuals on it. See Section AMI BIOS POST Codes User's Guide.

0x78 ACPI module initialization

I look at the next one often too

0x79 CSM initialization
Thanks Iv'e come to the conclusion that its two bad cpu's as it all works with 7401 and 7601 cpu's :(

EDIT Have tried these cpu's in a borrowed Asrock EPYCD8-2T and again get post code 78 with or without usb devices installed.
Tried another psu no go.
Will return the cpu's:(

Last edited:

jdell408

Dec 20, 2020
I had the same issue: code 78 on an Asrock Rack EPYCD8-2T with a 7551 from eBay. Turns out the issue was that the CPU was pulled from a Dell system, which burn a key into the CPU such that it will only boot a Dell-signed BIOS. This makes the CPU unusable in any non-Dell system.

Thanks for the e-waste, Dell.

More details here: https://downloads.dell.com/manuals/common/security_poweredge_amd_epyc_gen2.pdf

How did you determine they were pulled from a Dell?

I am having similar issues to OP. I have brand new H11DSi-NT, 2 Epyc 32 Core 7571. After building out hardware, the server powers on and I get green flashing heartbeat LED light and solid green LED, both indicating that functions are normal. However, I get nothing showing on confirmed working monitor and confirmed working vga cable. I just get a black screen, no cursor, nothing. It took me a long time to figure out how to IPMI in but I was finally able to. Initial searches for default username and password did not help and I had to dig relatively deep to find that the password can no longer be a default password due to some law passed in California, and that the actual password is on a tiny sticker on the mobo. Upon entering the IPMI screen, the first thing I notice is that the hardware tree shows completely different hardware than I actually have. I assume this from the manufacturer's testing, but I really have no idea. It is showing (A) 2 16 core CPUs, and (B) 8 gig RAM sticks in every slot, both of which are not present. Also, there is nothing showing in the video preview section of the IPMI screen.

I have now changed the BIOS multiple times both trying older and recent versions. I have cleared the CMOS removing (and changing) the battery and "jumping" the touch pads using a small piece of metal. I have tried three different RAM sticks together, separately in all the various DIMM slots. No matter what I do, it always show the same hardware config which, even if the mobo can't read the actual inserted CPUs, I would have thought the old/tested hardware config would get reset or removed once I updated bios, cleared CMOS.

I have also tried swapping the CPUs positions and running them individually with the 8 pin power supplies removed for the empty CPU slot.

I mostly get POST code 'ff' from IPMI unless I insert a certain RAM stick into slot B1 in which case I get POST code '16'.

I've also tried changing the VGA jumper.

Since the only two piece of equipment that were not brand new or already verified as working( by me) were the CPUs, I am assuming these are the issue. I think it's very likely that they are either BOTH faulty or (since finding this post) pulled from Dell machines and therefor cannot be used on a Supermicro board.

Any feedback/help would be greatly appreciated.

Leo Atreides

Dec 23, 2020
I have the same results as you with the same board. I get post code 16 or ff . Did you ever resolve this problem ?

A difference that I have is that the hardware tree is not populated at all. There is nothing in it.

Another issue is this :-

log.jpg

And here in the web interface

log2.jpg

The BIOS clock is not updating and is clearly resetting to 05:33:XX

I have ordered a replacement battery. Will let you know if this fixes anything, or changes it.

Last edited:

Leo Atreides

Dec 23, 2020
Changing the CMOS battery and the internal time date does not persist between boots.

Anyone know what else this can be ?

norcimo

Aug 11, 2020
This drives me crazy. I dont know what it is with the H11DSI. I get new replacements, install 64 CORE CPUS and mem, which on other identical systems work fine, but no. Black screen forever, boots to bios, can boot windows but shuts down. crashes, power button does not work, reset button does not work, very unstable. ITs like hitting a lottery with them. This happens to me with ES CPUS, and RETAIL ,OEM, memory DDR3 with the SUPERMICRO STICKER on them...and still , I can only get them to work with LUCK on 64 CORE CPUS. wierdest thing....

ari2asem

Dec 26, 2018
The Netherlands, Groningen
This drives me crazy. I dont know what it is with the H11DSI. I get new replacements, install 64 CORE CPUS and mem, which on other identical systems work fine, but no. Black screen forever, boots to bios, can boot windows but shuts down. crashes, power button does not work, reset button does not work, very unstable. ITs like hitting a lottery with them. This happens to me with ES CPUS, and RETAIL ,OEM, memory DDR3 with the SUPERMICRO STICKER on them...and still , I can only get them to work with LUCK on 64 CORE CPUS. wierdest thing....
with dual socket and 64 core each cpu you need to read some information about x2APIC setting in bios. try to install the latest Windows, freshly.
i also had some problems with h11dsi rev.2.0 board and dual epyc 7742 ES. my problem was m2 nvme stick. i finally used 2,5 inch sata ssd.
but you need to change some things in bios. i dont remember what. and also....update your bios to the latest version..

good luck

norcimo

Aug 11, 2020
with dual socket and 64 core each cpu you need to read some information about x2APIC setting in bios. try to install the latest Windows, freshly.
i also had some problems with h11dsi rev.2.0 board and dual epyc 7742 ES. my problem was m2 nvme stick. i finally used 2,5 inch sata ssd.
but you need to change some things in bios. i dont remember what. and also....update your bios to the latest version..

good luck

Like I said I have seven identical systems they all work fine, sometimes when you buy a new motherboard or get a replacement it's a lottery toss.

Leo Atreides

Dec 23, 2020
This is my second MBD-H11DSI-NT-O - the first one i bought from a retail vendor and returned it and they assessed it at no-post in either slot. There was no supply so i cancelled the replacement for a refund and bought online.

The results here are from the ebay buy, the vendor however looks as though they can get an RMA from Supermicro Europe.

FYI :: My system is

AMD EPYC 7251 CPU PROCESSOR 8 CORE 2.10GHZ 32MB CACHE 120W - PS7251BFV8SAF

Samsung 8GB DDR4 2666MHz ECC Registered Server RAM/Memory Low Profile
8GB (1x8GB) Samsung M393A1G40EB2-CTD LP DDR4 Server RAM, PC4-21300 (2666), ECC Registered, CAS 19, Single Rank, 1.2V

I do have 2 X ES 64 Cores, but before I try those I am going to make sure the board boots with a simple board

My guess is that the stock is getting old. Its not being produced and hase been in storage a while.

Leo Atreides

Dec 23, 2020
Like I said I have seven identical systems they all work fine, sometimes when you buy a new motherboard or get a replacement it's a lottery toss.
Just to be clear about that, you've bought a H11DSI and that didn't work so you got an RMA and that also never posted. This is the situation I have now. Its driving me nuts as I can not see anything that I am doing wrong. I'm now considering invisible short that I can not see or detect in the chassis or a dodgy power supply. I am going to get another mobo and if that dont work I think I will accept defeat.

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017
@Leo Atreides

is the second, the current one also still stuck on postcode 16?
Only socket 0 is expected to turn on with single CPU use.

It sadly is normal for the H11 boards to update things in the ipmi very late in the post process.
That includes anything sensor wise and FRU hardware reading wise.

But just in case it does update the sensor values, how are those looking?

Have you ruled out the CPU being faulty? i have not had postcode 16 come up ever. Code 10 is to expected without ram.
With Ram, it should skip to code 15, down to 14, and then up again through to Bios.

Xovos

Jul 28, 2021
I think so too, I used 1 stick in each B1 slot. IPMI never registered CPU2 and I never got a display with it mounted. Since each CPU works in socket 1 I gave up and initiated a return on the motherboard. While I would have loved to have a 2P unit with 64 cores and 128 threads, I'll settle for 2 servers with 1P each, maybe I'll get to 64 cores when I upgrade to Rome :) Thank you for your help
Hi everyone, i just got my H11DSI-NT today with 2x 7551 cpus and well it has the same problem as the person tagged above, does anyone know a way to fix this or somthing?

Both cpus work just fine in socket 1 but the moment you add one to socket 2 post code ff no matter wat you do.

And the solution kaltek2599 came up with isn't really suitable for me i'd like to just have one 2socket server and not 2 1socket servers.