New STH Admin

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Hi All,

Just wanted to see if anyone had recommendations for a new admin for STH. The company/ individual we had been using has not completed some of the expected setup, and I really want to get a few things sorted in short order.

Regards,
Patrick

chune

Oct 28, 2013
Are you looking for a web admin? Or like a forum admin? What are the details of the project you want setup?

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
So light up a domain controller...and their Hyper-v is a breeze. Nothing hard about running a DC. You don't even need a windows server license to do it anymore - just run Samba4 on a Linux host for your DC.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
ewww. Hyper-V. I'd rather gnaw my arm off. Managing Hyper-V without a domain server is A PAIN, and that's an understatement.
Ha! There will be a domain. Basically will end up being a set of Hyper-V 2012 R2 servers with 2 domain servers running in them.

I have been reading Mastering Windows Server 2012 R2 for the past two weeks. Probably half way through the 1700 page book :)

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
So have you decided on hyper-v over esxi for sure?
Not 100% sure at all.

And BThunderW - actually it appears as though base Hypervisor's are better to be Hyper-V Server 2012 R2. Lower need for security updates. Microsoft has the ability to ensure that the domain controllers do not migrate to the same physical host.

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
Why Hyper-V or ESXi?

I would do like ESXi with two Rangeley boxes for pfsense front ends. Should be easy to port your bare metals and that would give you all the NICs you need.

Behind those, you can put your Hyper-V cluster. Used a clustered FS and have all the fancy management stuff. Plus, the Azure Tools is slick. Run your own AWS on Hyper-V. Would run the DCs in VMs. Hyper-V servers can still work even before the DCs are up if one/ both ever go down.

Oh... I guess this should go in your cluster thread.