New SSDs from crucial

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

andrewbedia

Jan 11, 2013
I don't think I've heard the whole story about this reliability problem everyone seems to keep talking about on STH. Everywhere else says they are excellent.

I'm all ears. I don't even own one. I own three OCZ drive, an intel drive, a samsung drive, and a kingston drive. I don't really have a vested interest in disagreeing with you, but I would like to hear STH's side of the story here.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I don't think I've heard the whole story about this reliability problem everyone seems to keep talking about on STH. Everywhere else says they are excellent.

I'm all ears. I don't even own one. I own three OCZ drive, an intel drive, a samsung drive, and a kingston drive. I don't really have a vested interest in disagreeing with you, but I would like to hear STH's side of the story here.
I have not had issues with reliability and I have quite a few of the Crucial drives. What I have seen is that the M500 480GB drives (overprovisioned down to 420GB) still have some long service times on read/ write requests. The new servers are in the DC which will bring higher-end SAS/ SATA (S3700) drives to fix the service time problem which is impacting a non-negligible portion of traffic to the sites.

HellDiverUK

Jul 16, 2014
Well, for me, I've had 100% failure rate on the MX100. Sample size of 1x 480GB unit. Windows locked up, upon reboot the drive was missing. Took a cold reboot to come back to life. Did that randomly for a week then finally died. Tested on several known good machines.

Replaced the drive with a Sandisk UltraII and it's been perfect so far.

That's my anecdote.

OBasel

Dec 28, 2010
I have not had issues with reliability and I have quite a few of the Crucial drives. What I have seen is that the M500 480GB drives (overprovisioned down to 420GB) still have some long service times on read/ write requests.
This - and doubly so on SAS controllers. I've found the M500's to be one of the most stable drives. At work there's maybe 200 and we've had 1 rma.

I'm still buying Samsung or Intel drives.

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
This - and doubly so on SAS controllers. I've found the M500's to be one of the most stable drives. At work there's maybe 200 and we've had 1 rma.
You must not do write workloads on them... Might I ask what servers and what controllers?
I have seen signal integrity issues (negotiate at lower link rate) and iop hangs...
Sample size 20 or so drives to track down said performance anomalies.

andrewbedia

Jan 11, 2013

Wow, that's really impressive. Like @Patriot, I'm curious what kind of workload you're doing on them.

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
Wow, that's really impressive. Like @Patriot, I'm curious what kind of workload you're doing on them.
Customer specified... can't go into details but they were FIO sync lib .... so Q=1 ~3k iops normally but GC would fire up and drop it below 10...
Not really a heavy write workload and they still crapped out. Continuous yes... but not high rate.