New Server Build

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

RobS

Nov 3, 2015
Texas
Long time lurker, first time poster. Be gentle.

Build’s Name: Proposed new server build
Operating System/Storage Platform: Windows Server 2016 w/Hyper-V role
CPU: Intel Xeon Silver 4114 10C 2.2 GHz 85W TDP
Motherboard: Supermicro X11SPH-nCTPF
Chassis: Corsair 450D
Drives: 1 Samsung 970 EVO 500GB NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 SSD (system)
6 Samsung 860 EVO 500GB SSD (VM storage) in a RAID10 configuration
4 WD Red 10TB NAS Hard Drives (backup/cold storage) in a RAID5 configuration, repurposed from the Synology NAS
RAM: 64GB – 2 Samsung M393A4K40BB2-CTD 32GB DDR4 2666 LP ECC REG DIMM
Add-in Cards: None
Power Supply: Corsair RM650i 650W Fully Modular Power Supply
Other Bits: HSF TBD – Supermicro or Dynatron
ICY DOCK MB998IP-B (announced, but not yet available) or MB998SP-B drive cage
Supermicro AOM-TPM-9670V-S TPM module
2 10Gtek AXS85-192-M3-Supermicro (AOC-E10GSFPSR, 10Gb/s SFP+ Transceiver module, 10GBASE-SR, MMF, 850nm, 300-meter)

Usage Profile: Home server, VM host, storage, VMs, test VMs, hacking, etc. Perhaps there could be a dozen or so guest VMs that would include AD DS, MS SQL Server, a monitoring and utility server or two, etc.; all the usual suspects and likely nothing too individually substantial.

Other information… The purpose of this build is to initially consolidate systems and a Synology RS815+ NAS into a single system to save space, reduce noise pollution, and heat and power consumption in the home office with noise being the primary concern. Although, the Texas heat doesn’t need any help either.

Depending on time and future development, another similar VM host and separate storage system could be added, if necessary, for redundancy, etc. though this server should be sufficiently performant to avoid near-term upgrades. Additional RAM and disk could be added as needed as growth demands.

Network and audio gear reside in two 12U audio racks that fit nicely side-by-side under an office side table next to my desk. This tower will sit under a second side table in the office. The idea behind the tower is mainly to reduce noise, as mentioned above, while avoiding a 24U proper rack which would be difficult to place.

I tried to include enough detail so that others may benefit in case there’s a nugget of value in anything above.

Comments and feedback appreciated!

Reactions: K D and Patrick

RobS

Nov 3, 2015
Texas
I'm wondering now if it makes more sense to use Optane drives instead to get better performance. This would mean a different motherboard selection, too.

Any recommendations?

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Believe the oculink ports on the mobo you selected will connect to U2 based optane drives. Someone correct me if I am wrong/crazy.

RobS

Nov 3, 2015
Texas
I was thinking of using the AIC variant. The SM X11SPL-F motherboard would probably be the better option then, exposing more PCIe slots. The performance numbers would be much better than using 2.5 inch SSD drives. I could get 2 to 4 Optane AIC SSDs and use them for the VM guests.

Does this make more sense?