New RackMount Server and Windows Server 2016

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Navygm12

Jan 16, 2018
Hi All,
I came across this forum in my endless search for a server replacement. I am currently running a HP MicroServer n54l with 8TB capacity. I use Drivepool and have had great luck, but I recently built a house and added a network rack which I want to put a new server in. I would like to get the new server running with Windows 2016 and then migrate data, and keep my n54l as a backup box. I am struggling making a decision on a rackmount box and setup. I thought about going with the Rosewill RSV-L4412 so I have hotswap bays, but man it looks like this build will skyrocket quickly. Honestly I am using this server to store Media files, Documents, and Photos. I stream the media to Kodi & Plex devices which means I do run Plex though its limited as primarily I use Kodi. I have been looking at a HP DL380 g6 or 7, but I am not sure if thats overkill or outdated. I dont mind spending a bit, but nothing in the 1k+ range. What are your thoughts?

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
Welcome to the madhouse :D

Head over to the DIY forum and have a shuftie through some of the build threads for some inspiration. There's several ways you could go here, it's an opportunity for you to get into virtualisation and try a whole new approach to how you do things, for example, or you could just stick to a bare metal install of Server2016 and Drivepool as that's what you know and are comfy with. Either way, if you are simply looking at building a replacement file/ storage server, your hardware requirements will be modest. I would say go with either an E3 12xx v2/3, or if you want some more poke to expand your horizon and try other stuff, go with a single E5 26xx v1/v2 on a dual chip board, that way you'll have plenty grunt up front, with room to grow along with your aspirations :)

Navygm12

Jan 16, 2018
Welcome to the madhouse :D

Head over to the DIY forum and have a shuftie through some of the build threads for some inspiration. There's several ways you could go here, it's an opportunity for you to get into virtualisation and try a whole new approach to how you do things, for example, or you could just stick to a bare metal install of Server2016 and Drivepool as that's what you know and are comfy with. Either way, if you are simply looking at building a replacement file/ storage server, your hardware requirements will be modest. I would say go with either an E3 12xx v2/3, or if you want some more poke to expand your horizon and try other stuff, go with a single E5 26xx v1/v2 on a dual chip board, that way you'll have plenty grunt up front, with room to grow along with your aspirations :)
This is good advice, I will check out the DIY forum. I know a little bit about virtulization, but the primary benefit for it is to primarily run different OS's and control utilization for different server types. Not sure it is a necessity, but might be a nice to have?

kapone

May 23, 2015
I'd advise against Server 2016. Too many telemetry points and unnecessary bloat. Stay with 2012 R2, unless there is something VERY specific in 2016, that you need.

Navygm12

Jan 16, 2018
I'd advise against Server 2016. Too many telemetry points and unnecessary bloat. Stay with 2012 R2, unless there is something VERY specific in 2016, that you need.
Right now I am running WHS2011 (Really 2008) and I am having some issues with it. I figured upgrading would help, I will look at both thanks for the input!

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
I can’t say I agree with that, just go 2016. Switch off the telemetry and use a firewall. Server is not as bad as windows 10

kapone

May 23, 2015
I can’t say I agree with that, just go 2016. Switch off the telemetry and use a firewall. Server is not as bad as windows 10
The fact that you said "not as bad..." :) It should have NO telemetry, or at least the ability to switch ALL of it off. You don't. Even when you think you've switched off everything, it's still leaky. And a firewall won't help, it uses endpoints that will break things if disabled at the firewall.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
@kapone can assure you it’s possible to do it, what end points are your referring to ? KMS ? It’s certinaly possible to run fully isolated systems.

I can’t say I am thrilled about the way Microsoft has gone about things but I am also not kept awake at night worrying about it either.