New processors on horizon ?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

TedB

Dec 2, 2016
Due to the recently announced flaws in major CPUs I had to cancel an order for few dozen of new servers with recent Intel CPUs. However I'm in need for new processing power in short period of time.

Any ideas or speculations what new processors are on the horizon or how cpu vendors will act in response to current situation ?

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
You won’t see any hardware changes that address this for a generation at least.
Why did you cancel ? Overreaction ?

TedB

Dec 2, 2016
@Evan possibly an overreaction, however I will know for sure in few weeks or maybe months.

I have a feeling (no more than just a feeling) that it's going to take less time than a generation. On the other hand Intel launched "Coffee Lake" being fully aware (according to press) of the situation. Maybe you are right, they don't care as people will have to purchase cpus anyway.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Some errata are easy to solve with a small change as a new stepping but i suspect this is a good deal more complex but let’s see.

I am sure at the end of the day yes if people need cpu they will buy, I lease everything and right now I don’t see any reason not to keep it going as planned.
Let’s see in a month or 2 once we see the performance impact and our application stress test results.