New Official Intel Atom C3000 “Denverton” Details

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Is that 2.3x at 16 cores then really node much of a per core increase ? (Since c2000 was only 8 cores)
Clock speeds are down a bit though so bit more IPC increase.
Can't complain about networking, aes-ni, or number of sata ports though :)
Price we can probably complain about, I bet they don't end up cheap, after all c2000 is price/performance like Xeon-D once on the board (at least in the Supermicro world)

mstone

Mar 11, 2015
Price we can probably complain about, I bet they don't end up cheap, after all c2000 is price/performance like Xeon-D once on the board (at least in the Supermicro world)
I think that's all going to depend on availability. My personal belief is that the reason there are no low-cost C2000 implementations is that by the time the chips were readily available they were already long in the tooth--the second tier vendors weren't going to bother releasing a new platform on an old chip. (They basically could have been releasing silvermont gear to compete against the airmont stuff we did see, and remember denverton was originally expected a year or two ago.) Then the lack of cost pressure on the low end propped up the prices for the stuff that was out there. It will all come down to whether intel tries to keep high margins or whether they're worried about competition enough to sell people decent chips at decent prices.