New Networking Setup Questions

Discussion in 'Networking' started by T_Minus, Sep 25, 2019.

1. T_Minus

T_Minus Moderator

Looking to replace my RJ45 Crimping tools, and connectors with pass-through connectors to make setup go a bit faster. Additionally looking for top quality cable to work with, solid copper, quality material, etc...

Questions:

1. What's everyone's favorite tools for this type of work?
    2. What's everyone's favorite connectors (pass-through wire)?
    3. What's everyone's favorite cable brand? (100% copper)

2. obrith

obrith New Member

1) I'm happy with any half-decent crimpers. Doing outdoor/shielded connectors I actually find some of the lower end ones I have 'better' because they don't get stuck. What I really appreciate though is a radial wire stripper - you have to be careful it doesn't cut too deep, but it saves a TON of time.

2) I've only used the EZ-RJ45 ones, which are fine.

3) Totally depends on what I'm doing. My house; I'm fine with Monoprice all-copper spools. Outdoor; Shireen DC-1021 or better. A server rack or patch at a desk - patch cables from a major vendor - Monoprice are fine, and if it's not of significant length I've been fairly happy with the Monoprice ultraslim stuff (makes high density patching a lot easier). I try pretty hard to crimp as few cables as I can anymore.

3. BoredSysadmin

BoredSysadmin Active Member

For network patch cables - This is a recent one for me, but completely won me over is Siemon BladePatch series with push/pull design. These will last you a few lifetimes.
    Also, you can't go wrong with Belden cables if you're in for top quality stuff.

4. Aestr

Aestr Well-Known Member

1&2: I use a Klein Pass-Thru crimper and connectors. It's done fine for me so far and I have no real complaints although I really only crimp for IP cameras and access points, neither of which are very demanding.

3: Monoprice spools

5. marcoi

marcoi Well-Known Member

for those who used monoprice spools what do you recommend for home attic runs? I want the cable to support 10GB speeds min.
    Thanks and sorry if OT.

6. Aestr

Aestr Well-Known Member