New NAS Need HDD Hardware Advice

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ViciousXUSMC

Nov 27, 2016
I am running out of space on my R710, I have had a R510 with the 12 3x5" bays on standby for a while to build into a new NAS.
I'll probably go bare metal Freenas and a 10x Disk Raid Z2 setup.

For those disks.

Would you think 10x 14TB WD Reds would be best when they are on sale for $~200 each or 10x of the WD 14TB DC HC530 Data Center Drives?

I shy away from 7200RPM normally for the reduced heat/noise and power. However in this situation the power difference is very small (less than 3w per drive) and both of them are very efficient due to the Helium and data density.

I might still have more heat/noise to deal with, so the main reason I am considering the HC530's is because they are also cheap ($240ish) and are supposed to be much more durable with enterprise grade endurance.

Since I want my NAS to last as long as humanly possible I am wondering if in this situation the trade offs are worth it, and of course I might get more speed. I do usually install 10gb NIC's on my servers so I can break that 1gb bottleneck that most people have with their NAS.

Feedback? Concerns?

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I actually have 8TB He10 coming tomorrow to replace my 5TB WD RED. The reds are 100% perfect but I want the increased performance for editing videos and moving big files around. Power consumption is almost 2x during use and idle is 2x, but for 8 drives it's something I can live with :)

Those 14TB RED have more performance than my old 5TB and a lot more capacity than the 5 and 8TB I got ;) so those 14 sound nice too though.

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
I have been in that thread, thats where I found out about them :)
I'm not sure what you expect from us then as I can't imagine anyone will recommend that you knowingly purchase products that were likely stolen.

mmo

Sep 17, 2016
i think it's all matters on the warranty, if you like to save money and skip the warranty protection, you can go for the "stolen" drives. Otherwise i think shuckleable drives are on the best bang of bucks right now.

ViciousXUSMC

Nov 27, 2016
i think it's all matters on the warranty, if you like to save money and skip the warranty protection, you can go for the "stolen" drives. Otherwise i think shuckleable drives are on the best bang of bucks right now.
Technically shucking the drives voids the warranty though, if we are trying to be proper.

Reactions: itronin