New NAS coming - Synology DS1817

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Peanuthead

Jun 12, 2015
I would rather have the PCIe slot but not at a 50% premium over the base model. I called their support and he said email product inquires.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
I am still surprised they have the different non-Intel and then Intel chips in play , why not standardise or at least except the real low end arm units.

I have a DS413 that's still doing fine for what I use it for (file dump) but can't see myself buying another commercial NAS just due to how limited they seem despite doing exactly what they are expected to do. I Guess I like to play :)

And they are not that cheap for what they do...

Peanuthead

Jun 12, 2015
At the 599 price I should've placed a pre-order in. It would've been nice to have 10 Giggy for the home network. At that price though I think it's a little high for what you're getting. I don't disagree on feature versus price on prebuilt units but there is another side of it that people really mention. That side being the low management to no management overhead of a prebuilt.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Yes minimal management but so is windows server set to auto update.

All the different cpu types as I have found out means sometimes things break and are not tested as well as they should be, so just based on my current DS413 experience I would not say it's been all smooth sailing.

Reactions: nitrobass24

nitrobass24

Dec 26, 2010
TX
Yes minimal management but so is windows server set to auto update.

All the different cpu types as I have found out means sometimes things break and are not tested as well as they should be, so just based on my current DS413 experience I would not say it's been all smooth sailing.
Definitely some truth to this, but I think as long as you stay on an Intel Chip (even Atom) you are safe. Its when they have these seemingly ramdom ARM chips that inconsistencies seem to pop up.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Definitely some truth to this, but I think as long as you stay on an Intel Chip (even Atom) you are safe. Its when they have these seemingly ramdom ARM chips that inconsistencies seem to pop up.
Which is more or less why I wondered why they have not just standardised on Intel especially at the higher end units, They keep trying the special risc or arm custom chips that sound great but simply done deliver what they promised.

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
Looks like a cheaper version of the DS2015xs. Unfortunately not being x86 based, you lose out on btrfs, which I thought was one of the highlights of Synology's higher end offferings.

Peanuthead

Jun 12, 2015
I guess it is just available on the + series. I would move to QNAP if the software was near that of Synology's