New model. Crucial 750GB SATA 2.5" 7mm SSD MX300 reported $208

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Boddy

Oct 25, 2014
I don't know if this is hot, some people are saying it is similarly priced to Samsung 850 Evo.

Information according to:
Amazon Leaks Crucial's MX300 750GB Specs And Price

Apparently using a new NAND.

Above link refers to Amazon listing for $208. Drive is new and may not have been released yet:
Amazon.com: 750GB SATA 2.5" 7mm SSD MX300: Computers & Accessories

Drive is not listed in Amazon if you try searching for it just using drive's description (i.e. without tom's hardware link)

Caution: I have read an article on Crucial BX200 480 GB which has an SLC cache of only 6 GB and the drive slows to 80MB/sec outside the SLC cache (smaller BX200 has smaller cache). SanDisk Ultra 11 is reported to have a 20 GB SLC cache by comparison.

I'm wondering if speeds for SSDs can be inflated with SLC cache and could be very slow once the SLC cache is exceeded? Food for thought.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Yes, the MX300 is the TLC 3D NAND drive mentioned here: New Micron 3D NAND, NVMe, 3D XPoint and Storage Server Products

TLC 3D NAND is also going to be in new Intel drives this year. As all of the vendors bring TLC 3D NAND to market, that is going to drop SSD prices at different capacity points and give us larger drives. With all vendors in the game, we will start to see pricing get even better.

The SLC cache is less exciting to me. TLC drives will start to be a low power/ higher capacity SSD tier. The question is whether you will want higher quality used enterprise MLC / TLC 3D NAND drives or new TLC drives at the same price / GB.

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
Most TLC drives use an SLC cache and their write speeds after it's surpased vary wildly Samsung uses different caches on it's 850 evo depending on size 3gb at 120 24gb at 2tb but the speed after leaving that cache is the big change it goes from 150mbps(on the 120gb model) to the full 520mbps(interface limit) on the 1 and 2tb models, OCZ on the other hand with the trion 100 struggles with ~140mb writes at the 480gb capacity(compared to interface approaching 500mb writes on the 500gb samsung 850 evo)

TL:DR SLC cache isn't an issue as much as the specific implementation is