New member looking for some help

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Mithrandir

Jan 6, 2021
Hi gang, as stated, I am new here and new to diy builds in general. I am building a home server, NAS to use plex in my home theater. I have all of the parts assembled and have got as far as installing FreeNAS on my ssd. The problem I have now is that my HDDs are not recognized and are not even spinning up. Been troubleshooting as well as I can by reading things online but nothing seems to be working. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Here is my hardware list:
Case: Fractal Node 304
MB: Asus Prime H310i Plus R.2 csm
Processor: Intel Pentium Gold 5400
PSU: Corsair CMX 550 (was using SFX450 with custom bracket)
Ram: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB
SSD: Mushkin Pilot-E 120G PCIe M.2
HDD: 1x Deskstar 4T NAS 3x Seagate Ironwolf 4T NAS

I updated the BIOS on the MB already. Is it a matter of formatting the HDDs? If so, whats the best way to go about this? As I said I am very new to this.
Thanks in advance.

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
welcome!

off the top of my head I have seen scattered reports that versions of these drives can suffer from the 3.3v problem.

Are the drives showing up in the BIOS?

If your psu has a 4 pin molex power cable *and* you have a molex to SATA power adapter you might give that a go on each drive to see any will spin up. that will tell you for sure its the 3.3v issue.

Mods may want to relocate the thread to a more appropriate forum area.

Mithrandir

Jan 6, 2021
welcome!

off the top of my head I have seen scattered reports that versions of these drives can suffer from the 3.3v problem.

Are the drives showing up in the BIOS?

If your psu has a 4 pin molex power cable *and* you have a molex to SATA power adapter you might give that a go on each drive to see any will spin up. that will tell you for sure its the 3.3v issue.

Mods may want to relocate the thread to a more appropriate forum area.
Thanks for the quick response! The hdds do not show up in the bios, The m.2 does. I have removed the m.2 for now to see if that was disabling the SATA ports which it seems it is not. Next, the psu does not have a four pin molex, just the standard 6 pin connections. I thought that this issue was only for WD drives, does it actually go Seagate and Deskstar as well? I guess that its possible that like most things, they are made the same and have different labels and brand names slapped on them.

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
I'm pretty sure I had a seagate SATA drive I used kapton tape to make it work.

I'd say if you have a SATA SSD or an old laptop SATA drive it would be worth just plugging it in to see if it shows up in the BIOS. Test each port. Rule out a BIOS configuration. I don't play with consumer boards all that much so I'm not sure what you can and cannot do in the BIOS with that ASUS board.

If the SATA ports work and since you don't have a molex plug to easily remove 3.3v from the equation, see if you can round up some kapton tape or equivalent. I'd hate to hack up good power cables and find out that wasn't the issue.

Reactions: Mithrandir