New Member Introduction, Supermicro 825M, Lenovo SA120

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

exposehim

Apr 28, 2017
This seems to be the homelab Supermicro forum to be on...

Here's the lowdown...

I'm a solution architect by trade and I have an interest in hardware and messing around.

I recently outgrew an 8tb mirror on a wd mycloud. All my files are 30-50 GB mkv or ISO. I bought another wd myclould and now I have each myclould with a 16TB stripe and I'm syncing those across the network so I have my backup.

I realized that I need to plan for about 100TB of raw storage in the next year and moving terabytes of data across gig ethernet sucks, so I decided I'd experiment with building a NAS rather than buying a big synology box or something.

So I've recently purchased the following to play with...

Supermicro 825M with a X8DTE-F board (windows 10 installed, currently copying data to internal drives)
LSI SAS9200-e (not installed yet, waiting on half height plate)
Lenovo SA120 (will hook up when I get LBA installed)

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
@exposehim welcome to the fray!

Have you looked at 40GbE? People on here are doing 40GbE inexpensively these days.

exposehim

Apr 28, 2017
I had not, looks interesting though.

Ultimately, the current requirement is the ability to maintain 5oTB of 40GB ISO's in duplicate and recover as quickly as possible from a drive failure.

The easiest and simplest way I see to do this is simply maintain multiple copies on JBOD enclosures using NTFS volumes, so thats what I'm doing.

I know I didn't want to sit around praying that 50TB on a synology in RAID 6 rebuilt the failed drive. No thanks.

I considered buying two 5 or 8 bay synology, running each as a JBOD and mirroring across network, but then we're back to pushing data over gig ethernet.

So I decided to play with some old enterprise hardware to keep my duplication off of ethernet.

Reactions: Patrick

nitrobass24

Dec 26, 2010
TX
Welcome @exposehim

Definitelytake a look at adding some 10+ Gbe Ether to your setup.
Also consider alternative Raid Setups to reduce rebuild times due to a failed disk. BTRFS and ZFS resilvers are much quicker since they rebuild at the data level.

exposehim

Apr 28, 2017
I want the solution running on windows initially and stablebit drivepool is an simple, elegant and flexible solution, so thats what is happening right now.

I work in linux/aix a lot at work, whether its installing/troubleshooting J2EE applications or some light shell scripting to automate and move data around from one system to another, but I have zero experience installing/maintaining/adding hardware to *nix systems. Ya, no administration experience there...

I'm looking into getting another box to play with esxi or some other VM stuff. I'll post requirements and have questions when I have a list of goals. There's lots of interesting stuff out there now and I'm sure I'll have some flavor of nix in the home soon.

Reactions: nitrobass24