New MB purchased - any thoughts

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

takeawaydave

Aug 20, 2013
Well with a number of threads down and considering Supermicro X9 or X10 motherboards I finally pushed the button and purchased a SMC X8...

I know not the latest but definitely on a budget here and this seemed the best value for money solution since 48GB of RAM was included in the price.

Anyone got any thoughts about this board? Almost definitely going to go with a pair of L5639's and Firepro v4900 GPU.

Mrlie

Jan 1, 2011
Oslo, Norway
I bought my X8DTH-6F in march of 2012, and have not had any issues what so ever. Ran it inititally with a single E5620 but this summer I upgraded to dual L5639.

Had some problems booting up my OpenIndiana-installation after the CPU-swap, but it turned out to be some AHCI-settings in the BIOS that had changed for some unknown reason, that prevented the motherboard to boot from my SSD. Documentet my problem and solution on this forum (http://forums.servethehome.com/processors-motherboards/2250-issue-supermicro-x8dth-6f-l5639.html), but it may only be bad luck that I had any problems, and no certainty that you'll experience the same.

takeawaydave

Aug 20, 2013
Thanks for the response good to hear you've been having a good experience apart from the bios setting. Did you buy the board new or used ? What kind of price did you pay (if you don't mind me asking). I am currently sweating wondering whether or not 300 Euro was ok or not :confused: