New LSI Logic MegaRAID SAS 9265-8i with CacheCade Pro 2.0/Fastpath

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

white-hot

Jan 8, 2013
As mentioned in another similar post, Shady seller is Shady. While his service is good his cards are clearly suspect. Looking at his selling and buying history makes it clear: he buys cheap(er) intel-branded LSI controllers and then re-flashes and unlocks all the features. Then resells them as LSI-branded cards with all Advanced Software unlocked. I have little doubt his license codes are bogus. Here is an example:

He buys - Intel RS25SB008

He sells - LSI 9285-8e WITH CacheCade/FastPath, etc.

Maybe these shady actions don't matter much on out-of-warranty cards, but still. As a long time eBay seller these types of things make me run the other way. YMMV

klree

Mar 28, 2013
RS25SB080 is with CacheVault and SuperCap. The memory module is totally different.

mobilenvidia

Sep 25, 2011
New Zealand
I'm pretty sure now that he can enable 'unlimited time' on the SW keys
I've had a closer look last night at my 9266 and the M5016 keys, the M5016 keys are 'Secured' where as the 9266 (from this seller) all keys are 'Unlimited' and not secured
He basically has the ability to read the NVRAM see the changes then modify them and write it back.

But crossflash not so sure on

Intel RS25SB008 = Cachevault cable and it's battery/capacitor module

LSI 9285-8e = no Cachevault, RAM module is different

white-hot

Jan 8, 2013
Just going by what he posted in his eBay ads, but ok. But as you say his keys are fishy.

Last edited:

odditory

Dec 23, 2010
As mentioned in another similar post, Shady seller is Shady. While his service is good his cards are clearly suspect. Looking at his selling and buying history makes it clear: he buys cheap(er) intel-branded LSI controllers and then re-flashes and unlocks all the features. Then resells them as LSI-branded cards with all Advanced Software unlocked. I have little doubt his license codes are bogus. Here is an example:

He buys - Intel RS25SB008

He sells - LSI 9285-8e WITH CacheCade/FastPath, etc.

Maybe these shady actions don't matter much on out-of-warranty cards, but still. As a long time eBay seller these types of things make me run the other way. YMMV
What I dont get is that this brain surgeon doesn't have the good sense to do his buying & selling under different accounts. Easy paper trail if LSI decides to pursue legal action.

mobilenvidia

Sep 25, 2011
New Zealand
Buyer beware as always.

I'm still happy with my 9266, works as it should, got it for a good price.
I'll obviously won't be sending it back to LSI for any warranty issues.

Till proven guilty I'll not blame him for rebranding cards
But pretty sure he can add the 'trial keys' as unlimited instead of 30days.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
What I dont get is that this brain surgeon doesn't have the good sense to do his buying & selling under different accounts. Easy paper trail if LSI decides to pursue legal action.
Assuming he is in the US or another jurisdiction that would care.

mobilenvidia

Sep 25, 2011
New Zealand
I think he ships the cards from HK, don't have the shipping box any more.

If something is cheap there is usually a reason, don't expect any support