New(ish) 32TB Storage/Media Server/HTPC Build

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

TType85

Dec 22, 2014
Garden Grove, CA
Since the wife put the kibosh on my Dual E5-2650 V3 5u Asus tower build I had to sell it off. Her main issues isn't the money spent, she doesn't like all the ugly and sometimes noisy hardware around, especially big towers and server cases. We came to an agreement that I can build smaller builds so here comes the next one :)

Edit: My HTPC died so instead of building 2 systems i'm going to roll the HTPC in. I am going to have to loose Unraid, the ECC ram and go with some consumer parts though. I'm either going to re-purpose the Xeon-D & Ram or sell it. It would make a good light VM server.

This will be used for storage and a few dockers, possibly Plex if there is enough muscle in the Xeon D-1518 to transcode multiple blu-rays. It will be set up dual parity so 24TB usable.

Motherboard: SuperMicro-X10SDV-4C-TLN4F-Mini-ITX-Motherboard (Xeon D-1518) plus active HSF
Memory: 2x Samsung 16GB PC4-17000 DDR4-2133MHz

32 TB Storage/Media Server/HTPC

Motherboard: ASROCK H110M-ITX/ac
CPU: i7 6700 - Went non-k for the lower tdp
Memory: 16GB Crucial DDR4 (8*2)
Case: SilverStone SST-CS280B (8 hot swap 2.5")
Power Supply: Fractal Design 300W SFX
OS Drive: Crucial BX200 240GB
HBA: Dell Perc 310 Flashed to IT mode
Storage Drives: 8x Seagate 4TB 2.5" drives (currently in my desktop)
Software: Windows 10 Pro, Snapraid

Everything is currently in transit and I hope to have the parts next week. I will post pics as I build.

Stock picture of the case:

Last edited:

voodooFX

Jan 26, 2014
Since the wife put the kibosh on my Dual E5-2650 V3 5u Asus tower build I had to sell it off. Her main issues isn't the money spent, she doesn't like all the ugly and sometimes noisy hardware around, especially big towers and server cases. We came to an agreement that I can build smaller builds so here comes the next one
this is true love! :eek:

looking forward to see the build! :)

P.S. didn't know this SilverStone case, it's very nice, specially because of the 8x Drive bays!

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
What HBA? The MB doesn't have 8 SATA ports.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

TType85

Dec 22, 2014
Garden Grove, CA
Got the parts together, have to do some cleanup and take some pictures. I like the case but will be returning it because the drives run too hot in it. My Monoprice 4 in 1 adapters with a tiny fan kept the temps down in the low to mid 40's even doing parity buids/checks.

Some observations on the SilverStone SST-CS280B:
It is tiny. 7" x 8.5" x 12"
The hot-swap bays are decent, not close to the Supermicro or Intel ones, but they seem OK
It looks like it could fit a extended ITX or a mini DTX board (although there are no extra standoffs for those sizes)
It is a tight fit. The PSU I have is ~3,75 inches and I have just enough room for the SATA connectors to fit
It is quiet, the 80mm fans don't make much noise but are not PWM.
The USB3 connector is way to long, and nearly to tall.
All of the front panel wires are to long.
No cooling for the drives, the middle 2 are running in the 50c range.

Last edited: