New Intel Core Strategy Outlined At Architecture Day 2018

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
Hm. So we are getting more IPCs, smaller instructions and more specialized instructions for the edge cases that Intel is trying to compete on?
I wonder how good is the uptake on the tranactional memory instructions they introduced back in the Haswell/Broadwell days.

Why does this sound more and more suspiciously like ARM's strategy?
"Keep it simple, keep it clocking and let the licensees bolt whatever the hell they want into the AMBA bus..."

I dunno, this sounds like the strategy of a company fearing for its own relevance.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
They have fear, but I think they also have a plan.

Also, as some perspective, we have some of the highest end Arm hardware available and I still run STH on Intel and AMD. I think Arm is becoming increasingly relevant but buying servers today, x86 is still ahead in usability and single thread performance.

The bigger issue for Arm is that they had the "we are way cheaper than Intel" play in early 2017. What AMD is doing on pricing makes a more relevant competitor with virtually no switching costs and at a lower price than Intel. If EPYC was a let down, Arm would have more market share. Since it is a good product, it hurt the Arm guys.

Reactions: eva2000