New HPE ProLiant MicroServer Gen10 Powered by AMD Opteron X3000 APUs

• Thread starter Patrick Kennedy
  • Start date
Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

RTM

Jan 26, 2014
Looking forward to the first review.
I liked the g7 (have one at home), the g8 is also not bad, so depending on price I might be interested in an upgrade.

Also unless I am missing something it looks like they removed the ILO functionality.

Schoondoggy

Apr 26, 2017
Ilo, Intelligent provisioning and B120i RAID are out. Video is R7 and the X3421 is better performing than the stock XEON from the Gen8. Not to pigeon hole it, but it is a nice server for home theater or media server.

cactus

Jan 25, 2011
CA
I don't see "Zen" or "Ryzen" anywhere on the marketing, so these are a Jaguar core of some sort?

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Much like C3000 series ? No L3 either, is it a competitor

K D

Dec 24, 2016
The x1 slot could be for an add on iLO card like with the older microservers.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
5k passmark for a quad core is not all that bad and 32gb ecc support it would make a nice small nas, the HP systems like the Synology etc look nice compared to a lot of cases. For off the shelf it's ok for a lot of people at a decent price.

cesmith9999

Mar 26, 2013
if only it had 8 drive bays and 2 internal SSD bays...

and I would have like iLo for it. but if it is quiet enough... I would just add a Bluetooth keyboard and hook it up to my TV...

Chris

RTM

Jan 26, 2014
Another thing I hope they fix with the Gen10, is the amount of resonance humming you get from disks with the Gen8.
if only it had 8 drive bays and 2 internal SSD bays...

and I would have like iLo for it. but if it is quiet enough... I would just add a Bluetooth keyboard and hook it up to my TV...

Chris
It certainly wouldn't hurt if they added a special 5th bay where you could add two 2.5" SSDs.
It feels a little wrong to use two bays for small disks with 3.5 > 2.5 converters.

Perhaps they could modify the dvd slot, so you could also install two SSDs in stead.

Schoondoggy

Apr 26, 2017
Another thing I hope they fix with the Gen10, is the amount of resonance humming you get from disks with the Gen8.

It certainly wouldn't hurt if they added a special 5th bay where you could add two 2.5" SSDs.
It feels a little wrong to use two bays for small disks with 3.5 > 2.5 converters.

Perhaps they could modify the dvd slot, so you could also install two SSDs in stead.
The fan noise is lower, not sure if the drive noise is down. That of course will vary with drive brand and model. They did remove the drive bay door. You need to remove the front bezel to get at the drives. That could reduce drive noise.
If the pre-release info holds true to production they will be shipping it with a bracket to mount a SSD in the ODD bay. Much like the Gen8 there will be after market mods to add drives by the PS.