NEW HP T640 Thin Client Ryzen R1505G 4GB 16GF - NO KB/MOUSE, NO OS INSTALLED - $109

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

rafale77

Sep 28, 2020
These tools cannot “detect” the node of the CPU. They just pull this from a database based on the code. I am pretty sure that these are 14nm CPUs made by Global Foundries.

nagato1118

Feb 17, 2021
These tools cannot “detect” the node of the CPU. They just pull this from a database based on the code. I am pretty sure that these are 14nm CPUs made by Global Foundries.
I found the fun detail answer here.

TLDR
  • R1505G is embedded version of Athlon 300U (having Identical performance)
  • Raven Ridge uses 14LPP+. Ryzen 3200U/Athlon 300U use a die orientated for quasi-Raven2 operation with 14nm (no plus) transistors. Ryzen 3300U and up use a die orientated at replacing Raven Ridge's 14LPP+, called "12LP Boost Plus".
  • The die is an intermediate version between 14nm Zen based processor & 12nm Zen+ based processor.
Conclusion
It is still 14nm anyway.

Reactions: Hifihedgehog

Hifihedgehog

Feb 26, 2021
Just saw this and thought people might be interested. It's currenlty $109 and could be lower with offer.

ebay-HP T640
Awesome deal, OP! I just joined to say thank you. The current lowest price for automatically accepted best offer from the seller for these is $100. I tried $99 but $100 was the lowest they would go.

What about transcoding on Handbrake (which can support AMD VCE/VCN video encoding)?

Well, CPU usage is high but the GPU usage isn't that much. AMD has to put some serious work in to catch up to nVidia and Intel - performance were not great and the CPU usage is through the roof.

C5BE674F-63A0-4106-A46B-0BBEE127293D.jpeg
Yeah... VCN is a low wattage beast for 4K. I would double check your settings there if I were you. Just to give you a feel for its transcode power, you should easily be able to do 3 real-time 4K transcodes with VCN. Something's not quite right if it's going that slow.

In fact, I got this to run Plex since someone just got Ryzen APU transcoding working in Linux. That with Openmediavault should make this a cool little tech toy.

Something unexpectedly good - an Intel AX200NGW Wifi6+BT card with dual antennas.
And the extra, these has ax200 wifi 6 wireless card installed, plus serial port.
Really? So these come with TOTL AX200 cards installed? Wow... I noticed some higher-end SKUs of the T640 with the AX200, but I didn't expect it here. That's a major step up over the default Intel Wireless-AC 9260.

Can any one confirm if the CPU Ryzen Embedded r1505g is 12nm or 14nm?

Every tool (CPU-Z, AIDA64) is detecting 12nm but the official spec is saying 14nm.
I found the fun detail answer here.

TLDR
  • R1505G is embedded version of Athlon 300U (having Identical performance)
  • Raven Ridge uses 14LPP+. Ryzen 3200U/Athlon 300U use a die orientated for quasi-Raven2 operation with 14nm (no plus) transistors. Ryzen 3300U and up use a die orientated at replacing Raven Ridge's 14LPP+, called "12LP Boost Plus".
  • The die is an intermediate version between 14nm Zen based processor & 12nm Zen+ based processor.
Conclusion
It is still 14nm anyway.
This is not entirely true. True, Raven Ridge at its inception and early on was using an intermediate version of manufacturing process between 14nm and 12nm, so having used a 2400G, I can tell you it would accurately appear here in CPU-Z as 14nm, not 12nm, to reflect this. However, CPU-Z can discernibly read the CPU firmware and then generally ascertain the production node based on that valuable piece of baked-in information. That's why, for example, Ryzen 5 1600's that are AF revision show up accurately as 12nm in CPU-Z. We are seeing the same here as well with the R1505G, perhaps given the fact that GlobalFoundries may have very well transitioned most if not all of their production from 14nm to 12nm to streamline their facilities.

To confirm, then, the R1505G is 12nm.

遠坂小町@Komachi on Twitter: "@1969yuri1969 RAVEN 2 is 12nm/2C4T Die. I don't know if the Athlon 200 Series will switch from Cut-Down RAVEN1 to RAVEN2, but it certainly will appear for Embedded. That is, I don't yet know if it will appear for consumers. PS : It's AMD Ryzen Embedded R1606G/R1505G" / Twitter

EDIT: Or not. I spoke too soon, thinking Komachi, who is generally spot on with this sort of thing, was right. See below for the lowdown. It appears RAVEN2, which is a R1000 series embedded products, uses the same firmware blob as 12nm Picasso. So that would explain the CPU-Z misreading of it as 12nm. What has happened here is AMD has backported most if not all of 12nm Picasso design elements to RAVEN2 on 14nm, hence the need to use the same firmware. Therefore, they are applying that firmware to this 2-core RAVEN2 product. So this processor likely carries Picasso's microarchitectural enhancements without the minor physical efficiency advantages of the 12nm process that Picasso had gained along the way. Talk about a Franken-chip!

And to doubly confirm this error, the Athlon 3000G (also RAVEN2) is misreported in the same way.

Last edited:

ealvar

Mar 4, 2013
Just got one for a $99 offer no tax, free shipping from this seller (from whom I have previously bought from). You guys got me wanting to get one to play with. With the current bucks sale it comes to be less than $95.
Just wanted to add that the T640 from this secondary seller also had the serial port and AX200 wifi card. The packaging was much different than the one I bought from the seller that OP initially referenced but the PC itself was pretty much identical.

Great buy either way!

Hifihedgehog

Feb 26, 2021
Well I'll be damned, 4K HDR does seem to be working! I'm currently using this adapter: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B077JB28KM/ and I am able to enable HDR in WIndows and I'm currently watching some 4k HDR content from my Plex server via Plex for Kodi and Kodi 19 with HDR enabled (confirmed to be direct playing). My TV lacks the ability to tell me if it's receiving HDR content, but it definitely looks different than what I'm used to! Playback is a bit stuttery still...I have some tweaking to do, but oh man am I a happy camper right now!

Edit: actually I just finally figured out how to see what kind of signal my tv is receiving, and it is indeed getting an HDR10 signal from my T640. Woot!
Confirming my suspicions, HDR is also tested as working. It is just as I thought it might be: HP is only testing and/or paying for official certification for DisplayPort 1.2, but the device itself is fully DisplayPort 1.4 capable. Back in 2018, a similar situation occurred of stated motherboard certification versus real world processor support with Ryzen 2000 APUs and HDMI 2.0. Likewise here, the reality is the processor fully supports DisplayPort 1.4 meaning it governs DisplayPort compliance regardless of the motherboard or the labeled certification. So as long as you have a DisplayPort 1.4 to HDMI 2.0 with HDR adapter, you can passthrough HDR content without error.

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
Confirming my suspicions, HDR is also tested as working. It is just as I thought it might be: HP is only testing and/or paying for official certification for DisplayPort 1.2, but the device itself is fully DisplayPort 1.4 capable. Back in 2018, a similar situation occurred of stated motherboard certification versus real world processor support with Ryzen 2000 APUs and HDMI 2.0. Likewise here, the reality is the processor fully supports DisplayPort 1.4 meaning it governs DisplayPort compliance regardless of the motherboard or the labeled certification. So as long as you have a DisplayPort 1.4 to HDMI 2.0 with HDR adapter, you can passthrough HDR content without error.
Definitely good to know - it’s essentially the same situation with the max RAM size - it’s certified to 32GB abut will work all the way to 64. Now if only we can see if the t640 can do SRIOV the same way the t740 can/will.

Reactions: Hifihedgehog

Ford n' Fun

Aug 13, 2019
@WANg I wonder whether t740 support DDR4 32GB CAS16 1.35v SODIMMs? Crucial Ballistix 3200 MHz DDR4 DRAM Laptop Gaming Memory Kit 64GB (32GBx2) CL16 BL2K32G32C16S4B - Newegg.com.
Do you know anything about it?

Planning to get 2 of these with my t740. Or should i stick to 1.2v RAM to be safe? Something like Crucial 64GB Kit (32GBx2) DDR4 3200 MT/s CL22 SODIMM - Newegg.com.

Hi Foss,

Just a quick heads-up that I've successfully used both the following 2 x 32GB DIMMs in my T740s:
HyperX Kingston 32GB 2666MHz DDR4 CL16 SODIMM Impact (HX426S16IB/32)
Viper Steel Series DDR4 32GB (1 x 32GB) 3000 MHz SODIMM Single

Note that one of the Viper SODIMMs was faulty, but I was testing with a 24-hour run of MemTestx86 against these, to avoid exactly this kind of issue, so I did a simple return and re-order, and all was well with the replacement SODIMM.

fossxplorer

Mar 17, 2016
Oslo, Norway
Thanks. That is 1.2v and 1.25v parts. The one i posted says 1.35v in the spec and i wonder if that will create any issues. Seems 1.25v worked with your Viper worked fine though!

Ford n' Fun

Aug 13, 2019
I think you'll be alright. From my very cursory research on this, DDR4 runs by default at 1.2, and XMP can increase the voltage in steps to handle the higher clock speeds, as signal degradation is more of an issue at high clock/low voltage. That said, I'm pretty sure these machines will only run the RAM at 2666 Mhz so any potential speeds beyond this are probably wasted, at least on this platform. However, if you move those SIMMS to a higher-end laptop down the road, you may reap the reward.

"By default, DDR4 runs at 1.2v, while many memory module kits are rated to run at around 1.35v with XMP. Raise your voltage slowly until your system is stable; we recommend not going above 1.4v to be safe."

Edit: at the end of the day, I'd recommend making you have free, and non-contestable returns, as getting incompatible or defective hardware is more likely to be an issue. From what I remember, NewEgg isn't well-know for those qualities, so you may want to review your supply choice. my 2c, for what it's worth.

Hifihedgehog

Feb 26, 2021
How should compatibility be with this new 3200MHz Cl16 1.35V 2x8GB SODIMM kit from Mushkin for the T640 (note: this is the T640 thread)? It is a brand new kit that Mushkin just released that has yet to have listed on their website's product listing. Processor-wise, I already know that I don't have to worry since Ryzen's DRAM controller is common between desktop and laptop APU products and it can easily handle X.M.P. desktop memory kits with voltages up to 1.5V.

Last edited:

fossxplorer

Mar 17, 2016
Oslo, Norway
@Hifihedgehog Are you sure? I was also curious as which one of the SODIMMs to get and read somewhere on Reddit that these CPUs would probably run CL22 and down to 1.2v if you were using low CAS DIMMs like the one you listed. In other words, it would be waste to pay higher price for such DIMMs to be used with t640/t740. But this really needs to be confirmed!
Perhaps just buy a cheap (if there is any 4GB) CL16 DIMM and test out..

Hifihedgehog

Feb 26, 2021
@Hifihedgehog Are you sure? I was also curious as which one of the SODIMMs to get and read somewhere on Reddit that these CPUs would probably run CL22 and down to 1.2v if you were using low CAS DIMMs like the one you listed. In other words, it would be waste to pay higher price for such DIMMs to be used with t640/t740. But this really needs to be confirmed!
Perhaps just buy a cheap (if there is any 4GB) CL16 DIMM and test out..
Well, the reason I ask is the cheapest 2x8GB DDR4 SODIMM kit on Amazon right now happens to be Mushkin's 3200MHz Cl16 kit. So it's no loss to me if it does drop down since I paid less anyway than the 1.2V 3200MHz Cl22 kits. I'm not certain how HP's BIOS is programmed to react to memory with tight timings and higher voltages, but we will see.

Gagarin0461

Dec 28, 2020
I wonder, could this be paired with an ADT-Link M.2 Key M to PCI Express adapter and a dual SFP+ NIC to create a 10 GbE router?

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
I wonder, could this be paired with an ADT-Link M.2 Key M to PCI Express adapter and a dual SFP+ NIC to create a 10 GbE router?
In theory, yes. But you'll lose your NVMe (boot from USB3, then...?), I am not sure if it works, and you'll still have to figure out a way to "ghetto glue" a dual 10Gbit NIC to the chassis, and figure out a way to cool it. My past experience with SolarFlare dual 10GbE cards tells me that they are not cool running whatsoever.

Of course, if it works, the real benefactor will be the t740 thin client down the line. You still have an M.2 SATA port next to the NVMe, and if it can be used to drive a quadport 1GbE card and a 40GbE dual on the built-in PCIe 30 x8, and that would be super-useful for pfsense.
Ooooof. The ghetto glue involved will not be pretty.

wired

Mar 5, 2021
has anyone tried ECC ram in it?? I'm looking for a low end server system that has ECC ram, that I can run multiple vm's and do some transcoding for my DVR system.

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
has anyone tried ECC ram in it?? I'm looking for a low end server system that has ECC ram, that I can run multiple vm's and do some transcoding for my DVR system.
it’s ECC compatible (as in, if you put ECC in there it’ll function) but the actual error correction is probably not done - dmidecode (in a Linux) did not show any parity checking on the installed RAM.