New home NAS and Hypervisor setup

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

nry

Feb 22, 2013
I bought 32GB DDR3 just before christmas for about £90 it's now about £180!

I managed to get 16GB DDR3 ECC for £55 off eBay last month. Think servercase had some for £75ish

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
8GB DDR3 DIMM prices have gone up significantly in the last two months.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
And they will keep going up...buy now if you need RAM.

There is a general supply shock happening in the industry as several Korean and Japanese foundries shift production from Server/Desktop ram to products for the mobile phone & tablet business. The degree of the price shock could equal or exceed what happened in the hard drive business after the floods in Thailand. Expect spot prices (the price you and i buy at) to go up as much as 40-100% over the next 12 months.

TallGraham

Apr 28, 2013
Hastings, England
Finally managed to get some more bits ordered this weekend, in between trying to enjoy the weather.

Got my Supermicro motherboard, 16GB RAM for that, plus two lots of 32GB RAM for my Hypervisor nodes.

Sadly still not enough bits to build anything yet. But getting there

TallGraham

Apr 28, 2013
Hastings, England
Blimey, it's been a few months as I have been saving up for more parts. I got the RAM but had doubled in price from my original plans so stung a little bit :(

Anyway, it's time to get more bits. I've been following lots of the other threads. I had been looking at the X-Case RM424s Home Server case, but most people say that the fans are so loud they need replacing. I have decided to pay a bit more and go for this case instead.

X-Case RM 420 -Pro 20 Bay Rackmount Hotswap, 6GB Mini SAS Backplane, Temp controlled 120mm fans

It is only 20 bays but I have 2 x 8 port and 1 x 4 port RAID card and they support the SGPIO this case has as well. The fans are supposed to be super quiet. OK it's a few more quid but then I figured I'd be spending that on replacing the fans and shipping anyway.

I also like the look of this power supply too, fanless. I'm hoping that the fans from the case will create enough airflow. Anybody got any experience with them?

Seasonic FANLESS 520W Platinum SS-520FL2 Power Supply 80+ Platinum - Scan.co.uk

I have a few more questions for anyone who would like to help?

The processor I'm looking at is this one for the SAN/NAS, but as it is OEM it doesn't come with a heatsink or fan.

Intel Xeon E3-1220L v2 Ivy Bridge s1155 OEM - CM8063701099001 - Scan.co.uk

I was hoping it could run fanless as the wattage is so low. But can't seem to find one anywhere, or even the intel version of the fan for the socket 1155. Any ideas?

The processor I want to use in the virtual servers is this i7

Intel CPU Core i7 3770T Quad Core IvyBridge Processor OEM - CM8063701212200 - Scan.co.uk

Again, OEM so no heatsink and fan. This one will need a fan so suggestions welcome please?

I have MicroATX motherboards for the virtual servers and was thinking about 2U rackmount cases but have full height 4 port PCIe network cards. So a really small MicroATX case would be awesome. Suggestions please? :)

TallGraham

Apr 28, 2013
Hastings, England
Well it has been a while. I don't know..... all you want to do is build a new virtual stack in your spare room / office / computer den and then things like life and bills keep getting in the way :)

I have very slowly been selling all my old kit, and accumulating parts on offer whenever I can. A small update, including first picture :)

So in the picture there is:

X-Case RM-420 Pro 4U Chassis
SuperMicro X9SCM-IIF-0 MicroATX server motherboard
2 x 8GB 1600 ECC DDR3 RAM
Cisco Small Business SG300-28 Switch (Fanless)
4 x Intel Pro 1000 PT Quad Port PCIe NICs
2 x Adaptec 5805 RAID Controllers
Adaptec 6405 RAID Controller
5 x Crucial M4 128GB SSDs (CT128M4SSD2) (Used with Adaptec 6405 Storage server OS RAID5 and a spare)
5 x SFF-8087SB to SFF-8087SB leads for the RM 420 Chassis
3 x Intel DQ77MK MicroATX Motherboards for each of the Virtual Host Servers
2 x Crucial Ballistix 32GB Kit (8GB x 4) 1600 UDIMM for each of the Virtual Host Servers

Still not got everything. My order from Scan Computers was delayed as they are out of stock on the E3-1220L V2 Xeon processor. Due in on 19th October :( So waiting for the following bits for my main storage server:

Intel Xeon E3-1220L-V2 CPU
Silverstone SST-NT01-PRO Nitrogon CPU Cooler (Fanless)
520W Seasonic Platinum SS-520FL2 PSU, 92% Eff', 80 PLUS Platinum, Full Modular, EPS 12V, Fanless, ATX

This means that currently the only moving parts in the storage server will be the 3 x 120mm fans in the case. So I am hoping it will be super quiet.

The Adaptec 6405 will be running a RAID5 using 4 of the Crucial M4 SSDs. I got the 5th as a spare. Chose this model as it was on the approved Adaptec list for the card, and Crucial support were great in the past when I needed to RMA some RAM to them.

For Storage I am now looking at the new 1TB 2.5" Western Digital RED drives. Keeps power and noise low again. Any views on these from anyone else?

Sadly got to save up again and clear out some more old stuff first though. I have so much old computer stuff knocking around it is ridiculous.

Loads of old SCSI cards and Devices narrow, wide and ultra wide. Cases, ATX one large tower with 10 x 5.25 bays. I think it was sold by Scan computers back in the day as their Scan 2001 tower. It even has wheels attached. If anyone is interested then please PM me

I will do some more pictures when the rest of the stuff turns up. Then I can do some power readings on the server, without the data drives. Plus check temperatures with just the case fans going.

Last edited:

TallGraham

Apr 28, 2013
Hastings, England
@nry

It's all about the power consumption and noise. If I want to leave this on 24/7 then I want it to use as little as possible. The cooler I chose is fanless too, and should be cooled nicely by the fans in the case. So the only moving parts will be 3 x case fans, and 16 x 2.5" HDD spindles.

From the reviews I have seen the E3-1220LV2 is pretty much the same processing power as an i3 so it should be fine. All the Virtual Host stuff will be run on other machines. This only needs to do basic AD stuff like DHCP and DNS. I will likely make it the WDS and MDT server too. Plus run Serviio as my DLNA server. Nothing too taxing at all.

On the subject of hard disk spindles.....

I took the plunge and 17 x 1TB WD Red 2.5" Hard Disks turned up today :D

Just waiting on the CPU now and the build can begin :D

Mike

May 29, 2012
EU
And you are going to run this bare metal right, without the Vmwarez? (power consumption in mind)

TallGraham

Apr 28, 2013
Hastings, England
@Mike

Hi there.

No this will be running Windows Server 2012 and using the iSCSI Target capabilities built into the OS for sharing space to my diskless/headless Virtual Host Server boxes. Another reason why I went for the 17W CPU. So Windows can't have a fit and max out CPU and 69W or higher.

The Virtual Host Server boxes will iSCSI boot to this box and then run bare metal hypervisors on them. The beauty with the iSCSI boot is that I can easily flip between VMWare or Hyper-V any time I like. Nice for a Lab environment.

TallGraham

Apr 28, 2013
Hastings, England
So whilst waiting for the other parts to arrive I decided to make a start on the boring job.

20 x 2.5" disks, 20 x 3.5" caddies, and 80 screws. Gave me something to do on Saturday afternoon while I was listening to the football commentary.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Just curious - if you have 3.5" hotswaps why are you stuffing them with 2.5" reds? The 3.5" reds cost less/TB, have a longer rated lifetime and generally perform better (slight advantage to the SFF drives on seek time, but otherwise the 3.5s win). Only real downside to the larger drivers is a bit more power dissipation.

TallGraham

Apr 28, 2013
Hastings, England
@PigLover

Hi PigLover. That is a very good question you asked.

Long story. I've been making various bits of hardware for almost 20 years and am lucky to work in the IT industry too. I tried standard tower cases with 5-in-3 drive trays. The fans on the trays were so loud though, and my server is in the room with me. I wanted to use the 2.5" drives to save on both power and noise. The icydock 6-in-1 hot swap trays, reviewed here on STH, seemed pretty good but I didn't like the idea on the 40mm fan. They have always been noisy whenever I have used them.

In the end I saw another build that used a 24 bay case from a company called X-Case. Trouble is the thread maker and several others said that the fans sounded like jet engines. X-Case have a Pro version of the case but it was more expensive, and had 3.5" bays. So..... I thought with quiet fans and 3.5 bays it future proofs me a bit. Can't afford to keep spending that sort of money on a case.

The plan is for the box to use as little power as possible and be as quiet as possible. Hence I have gone for a fanless PSU, Xeon E3-1220LV2, and a passive heatsink. The only moving parts will be the 3 x 120mm fans in the case and the 2.5" drives.

We have HP LeftHand SANs at work. They run 1TB 7200rpm 3.5" disks in them and take almost a day to rebuild properly if we have to replace a drive. Which sadly we have to do quite often. So don't want rebuild times of more than a day. And at present I will have approx 12TB of storage space if I use RAID6 or 14TB if I use RAID5. That's all good for me right now.

I have seen your threads on here, and really appreciate you taking the time to look at mine and comment. Any advise or input you have would be greatly appreciated. :)

33_viper_33

Aug 3, 2013
With that many drives, RAID 6! Take it from someone who has lost a couple drives at a time. The extra security will help you sleep.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
With that many drives, RAID 6! Take it from someone who has lost a couple drives at a time. The extra security will help you sleep.
With 20 drives I'd actually recommend Raid-60, with two 10-drive Raid-6 groups. Running 20 drives in a single raid group is just more than I would be willing to risk. I know it costs 4 of 20 drives worth of overhead (20%) but its well worth it after a failure. And with 20 drives one thing is absolutely certain: you will have a drive failure.

dba

Feb 20, 2012
San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA
With 20 drives I'd actually recommend Raid-60, with two 10-drive Raid-6 groups. Running 20 drives in a single raid group is just more than I would be willing to risk. I know it costs 4 of 20 drives worth of overhead (20%) but its well worth it after a failure. And with 20 drives one thing is absolutely certain: you will have a drive failure.
I very much agree that 60 is going to be better than 6. You'll also get more IOPS.