New Home Lab Build Suggestions

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Abstract3000

Feb 14, 2019
So I have decided to build a Home Lab. I guess I should list the criteria first

- This will NOT be a 24/7 always on Operation
- There is no particular thing I need Running at all times
- I couldn't see myself spinning more than 10 VM's if that.
- I would like to have a VM running Hyperspin for Emulation
- The ability to route multiple IP Addresses, if wanting to play with a switch or what not
- The ability to do testing with kali, furthering my knowledge in Infosec
- Some room to upgrade in the future if needed.

After giving it allot of thought, I am aimed at just building a decent Spec PC for use rather than buying old Server Racks, less noisy, less power consumption and Smaller Footprint (keeping the significant other happy)

I was thinking of doing a 1st Gen Ryzen 7 1700 3Ghz 8 Core Chip, 32Gb DDR4, 1Tb M.2 SSD, GTX 1050 (Emulation purposes) 2.5" 1Tb SSD (For Emulation) Intel I350T4 Quad Gigabit Card.

Not set on any specific components (besides the 65W CPU), but intended to get a MB that supported 64GB, and purchase 2x16GB sticks leaving the ability to double out later if needed. I also wanted additional Sata Ports for adding additional Storage Drives in the Future if More space is needed. I figured I would just boot ProxMox or whatever HyperVisor I decided on from USB Stick and Store all VM's on the M.2 SSD, while I kept all files emulation related on the 2.5 SSD. Just spinning up linux distros and custom XP ISO's I figure won't account for much room, though in the future I would like the Case to support up to 4 Additional 3.5 Internal Drives and the motherboard to have additional PCI slot for a RAID Controller if needed down the line.

I know I left out things such as the power supply, case etc. I get that I will need the basics, was more trying to paint a picture of the idea floating around in my head and the direction I was pointed in and looking for others feedback, maybe something I'm overlooking, maybe a better approach, suggestions on components etc.

Thanks for your Time!