'New HGST He8 HUH728060ALE600 6TB SATA III 128MB 512e 7200RPM 3.5" HDD $270

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Boddy

Oct 25, 2014
Sorry, I don't know about UnRAID.

These 2nd generation HGST (according to the marketing material) which includes He8 & 6 TB Ultrastar 7K6000 incorporate RAID 'Rebuild Assist' ("In May 2012, with 3.5-inch hard drive capacities reaching 4TB, the T10 working group approved including Rebuild Assist in the SCSI SBC-3 specification. In August 2013, the SATA-IO committee adopted TPR-045 (Rebuild Assist) as part of the SATA 3.2 specification.") so with a Rebuild Assist supported RAID controller: can copy good data from a failing drive to a new drive and only need to rebuild the 'bad' portion, supposably resulting in quicker rebuild times: https://www.hgst.com/sites/default/...d-Assist-Mode-for-Faster-RAID-Recovery-WP.pdf

Boddy

Oct 25, 2014
How well would these work in UnRAID?
I'm IT newbee, but from what I understand these drives are 512e (meaning they can emulate 512 sector size),
meaning they may work in UnRAID on my assumptions, compared to a drive with a native 4Kn sectors (like WD6001FXYZ) that can cause problems in UnRAID from what I have read. (Though best to ask someone who actually knows). Cheers

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
Sorry, I don't know about UnRAID.

These 2nd generation HGST (according to the marketing material) which includes He8 & 6 TB Ultrastar 7K6000 incorporate RAID 'Rebuild Assist' ("In May 2012, with 3.5-inch hard drive capacities reaching 4TB, the T10 working group approved including Rebuild Assist in the SCSI SBC-3 specification. In August 2013, the SATA-IO committee adopted TPR-045 (Rebuild Assist) as part of the SATA 3.2 specification.") so with a Rebuild Assist supported RAID controller: can copy good data from a failing drive to a new drive and only need to rebuild the 'bad' portion, supposably resulting in quicker rebuild times: https://www.hgst.com/sites/default/...d-Assist-Mode-for-Faster-RAID-Recovery-WP.pdf
I've contacted Adaptec and asked them which controllers support Rebuild Assist.

This is what I got as an answer:

"Greetings from Microsemi!

Thank you for your message.

The link you sent us is broken.
I have researched the feature and that is not something we would be using.
Our controllers are extremely powerful and fully responsible to rebuild the array.

Thank you for using ASK Us.

Best Regards,
Microsemi Technical Support"

Adaptec/Microsemi RAID controllers don't support rebuild assist. I asked LSI too, but didn't get an answer yet.