"New" HGST Coolspin 4TB $105

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

no_bears

Nov 28, 2016

no_bears

Nov 28, 2016
This model is 5700rpm. This seller stocks many models.
Ebay shows item location: La Puente, California, which matches AMZ's location for GoHardDrive.
They also appear to be sealing the drives themselves.
If these are server pulls, how can they fraudulently sell them as "new" and maintain such a good seller rating?

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
This model is 5700rpm. This seller stocks many models.
The specific drive in the photo had a factory warranty end date of 2015-11-20.
Ebay shows item location: La Puente, California, which matches AMZ's location for GoHardDrive.
betta factory:
151 S 9th Ave
La Puente, CA 91746
P: 626 333 9097
www.thebettafactory.com - This appears to be a defunct / broken site, but archive.org has a cached page which says "Copyright 2015 Worldwide Product Importer, Inc." which is the same as their eBay username. They apparently still sell fish supplies, at least according to Facebook.

goharddrive:
137 S 8th Avenue, Suite E
La Puente, CA 91746
P: 626 593 9927
They also appear to be sealing the drives themselves.
If these are server pulls, how can they fraudulently sell them as "new" and maintain such a good seller rating?
I don't know - this whole thing sounds fishy (pun intended) to me.

Reactions: T_Minus

no_bears

Nov 28, 2016
Great info, Terry.

I found an Amazon review that claimed the SMART data was all reset:
"The only peculiarity for me was that power on hours were at zero for all disks when I received them which seems to indicate goHardDrive was able to wipe S.M.A.R.T. data before reselling them."
Amazon.com: SouperMan's review of HGST Ultrastar 7K4000 HUS724030ALE641 (0F1...

IMO this is a scam and fraudulent to claim the drives as "new" in the ebay condition.

Just got a price alert that Newegg has dropped its retail 7200RPM 4TB HGST NAS drive to $135
HGST Deskstar NAS H3IKNAS40003272SN (0S03664) 4TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" High-Performance Hard Drive for Desktop NAS Systems Retail Packaging - Newegg.com

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
Great info, Terry.
Thanks!
I found an Amazon review that claimed the SMART data was all reset:
"The only peculiarity for me was that power on hours were at zero for all disks when I received them which seems to indicate goHardDrive was able to wipe S.M.A.R.T. data before reselling them."
Amazon.com: SouperMan's review of HGST Ultrastar 7K4000 HUS724030ALE641 (0F1...
That's a different drive (HUS vs. HMS), and from goharddrive - and there have been multiple reports here that goharddrive does this sort of thing, both on "white label" and branded drives.
IMO this is a scam and fraudulent to claim the drives as "new" in the ebay condition.
We don't know for sure that Betta Factory is related to goharddrive (it is sort of like assuming that because 2 computer companies are in Sunnyvale, they're both related), but there's enough red flags for me that I wouldn't deal with them.
Unfortunately, I've been burned by Newegg's drive packaging (or lack thereof) in the past. They may have gotten better, but I'm unwilling to experiment.