New here

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

SyntaxSinner

Dec 5, 2020
Hey all, I'm just getting started with a home setup.

Currently, I have an r610 running some misc docker services, an r710 with omv5 and plex, which I'm considering adding a md1200 to with 12 7.2k 6tb drives, an r310 running security onion to operate as a log drain and IDs/ips, a usg4pro between the modem and SO, and a 1300mbps unifi ap, all on a netgear prosafe with no poe. After seeing the brocade discussion, I'm strongly considering picking one up.

If I can find a license for the brocade I'll do that, and if I can find a good raid solution for the md1200, I'll buy that. I think I'll do raid ,10 and use it for data analysis and backup.

I'd love feedback and recommendations! It's a pleasure to meet you all.

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
If I can find a license for the brocade I'll do that, and if I can find a good raid solution for the md1200, I'll buy that. I think I'll do raid ,10 and use it for data analysis and backup.

I'd love feedback and recommendations! It's a pleasure to meet you all.
Welcome!

If you are talking about the switches listed in the brocade mega thread then see "Note 2" at the top of the first post.

gregsachs

Aug 14, 2018
LSI 9s86CV-8e is a pretty affordable PCI3 external raid adapter, can also run JBOD. Dual SFF-8088 ports.
I have not run raid with mine, I just run it in JBOD.
I have connected mine at various times to a homemade SAS enclosure using HP and Intel expander, a xyratex 1235, and a netapp ds2246.

Here is one for $27 with DRAM and BBU
Per manual, supports
RAID 0 (data striping) – Data is striped across all drives in the group, enabling very fast data throughput. No data redundancy exists. All data is lost if any drive fails.  RAID 1 (drive mirroring) – Data is written simultaneously to both drives in the drive group, providing complete data redundancy if one drive fails. RAID 1 supports an even number of drives from 2 to 32 in a single span.  RAID 5 (drive striping with distributed parity) – Data is striped across all drives in the group. Part of the capacity of each drive stores parity information that reconstructs data if a drive fails. RAID 5 provides good data throughput for applications with high read-request rates.  RAID 6 (drive striping with distributed parity across two drives) – Data is striped across all drives in the group, and two parity drives provide protection against the failure of up to two drives. In each row of data blocks, two sets of parity data are stored.  RAID 10 (RAID 1 and RAID 0 in spanned groups) – RAID 10 uses mirrored pairs of drives to provide complete data redundancy. RAID 10 provides high data throughput rates.  RAID 50 (RAID 5 and RAID 0 in spanned groups) – RAID 50 uses both parity and drive striping across multiple drives to provide complete data redundancy. RAID 50 provides high data throughput rates.  RAID 60 (RAID 6 and RAID 0 in spanned groups) – RAID 60 uses both distributed parity across two parity drives and drive striping across multiple drives to provide complete data redundancy and high fault tolerance.

SyntaxSinner

Dec 5, 2020
Thank you for the great response. I decided to go with an R720XD instead of the md1200. This way I get a better server and equal disk space. =) I also decided to pick up an ICX 6450 and reached out to hopefully get a license.

OMV5 is up and running, next for a pihole, and I want to get grafana running against all of my services, though, it seems OMV5 doesn't have an easy way to export statistics.