New Fujitsu D3348-B23 Motherboard (LGA2011-3), $200 OBO ($140 accepted), Ebay

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
Hold up, I'm confused based on page 1. Does a regular consumer PSU work for this board?
Yes, the specific board linked in the OP can take a regular consumer PSU. I'm using a Corsair ATX supply (AX760i) on mine. But as others have noted, there's also multiple variants that have non-standard connectors. Unlike some of the more common hardware vendor's naming schemes, the difference in the naming on these Fujitsu boards can be a single letter or number at/near the end of the name. So, if you buy something from another vendor/Ebay listing, you'll want to take a close look at the photos.

I'm in for one. Big fan of the E5-v4 and the x16 layout will accommodate most dual GPU. Dug around and got the manuals and links to the drivers and what not.
I've got dual GPU running on mine. Ubuntu as main OS/host and Windows 10 in a VM, with passthrough on the GPU, an NVMe drive and USB (via a USB add in card). Of note though is that the only PCIe slot that supports bifurcation is one of the two slots that are x16 electrically (Slot 3). So you can't have two GPUs in x16 slots and install a multiple drive NVMe card at the same time. I've got my GPUs in the x16 slots and the NVMe drives in single drive adapters plugged into the slots that are x4 electrically. It takes up a lot of slots, but worked for me as I didn't need slots for any network or other add-in cards.

Last edited:
Reactions: tozmo

mimino

Nov 2, 2018
@Markess do you use that win10 for gaming? If so, how well does it work? I was thinking about trying that at some point but never got around to do it.

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
@Markess do you use that win10 for gaming? If so, how well does it work? I was thinking about trying that at some point but never got around to do it.
Not anything demanding. I've got a low end Quadro P620 passed through to windows for productivity, but it works OK for light gaming. I understand that KVM/QEMU with device passthrough has a minimal performance impact, and lots of folks play AAA Games (with an appropriately beefy GPU) without much issue.

If you do decide to try it, be aware that some GPUs from both Nvidia and AMD have (different) issues that can complicate GPU Passthrough. For example, the only remotely "gaming worthy" desktop GPU I had was an AMD one that wound up having the AMD "Reset Bug", so I couldn't easily use it for the Windows VM. There's a nice, recently updated, summary on the various hardware issues here: Graphics Cards: AMD vs Nvidia - Heiko's Blog vfio

Reactions: mimino

Prof_G

Jan 16, 2020
Rename to file BUP it’s probably the same as rom just different for this board. I had same problem on my EVGA board file type didn’t match. Renaming file worked fine. But maybe it won’t work... doesn’t hurt to try.

Sonner

Jan 20, 2016
Rename to file BUP it’s probably the same as rom just different for this board. I had same problem on my EVGA board file type didn’t match. Renaming file worked fine. But maybe it won’t work... doesn’t hurt to try.
I figured out that the BUP file is actually a zip file. You can rename the file and extract the contents. One of the files inside is a bios image file with extension UPD.
Fujitsu documentation talks about a variety of such files. ROM - for recovery flash. UPD for update flash. BUP (backup?) used when flashing from Windows OS.
I will try to do this from DOS using the Fujitsu flashing tools. Fujitsu tools might detect that image file is a modified bios. In that case, I will have to use generic tools by Intel. I will post the results. I am trying to be super careful. If I get stuck, I might have to buy a eprom programmer with cables and deal with bricked board.

Thanks,
Soner

KC8FLB

Aug 12, 2018
I just picked up this board and a E5-2680V4 to replace/upgrade my UNRAID box that was running dual 2670 V1's from the great 2670 liquidation years ago. Thinking about picking up another for my main workstation.

Can I boot from NVME on a PCIE card in Windows/Linux?
Answering my own question here from the documentation: " Boot support for M.2 Carrier Board D3352-A1 (PCIe-based SSD modules, AHCI/NVME)"

Is there a reasonably priced processor that you would recommend for workstation duties (no major multicore workflows on my workstation, so clock cycles will be more important than core count) Thank you

Last edited:

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
I just picked up this board and a E5-2680V4 to replace/upgrade my UNRAID box that was running dual 2670 V1's from the great 2670 liquidation years ago. Thinking about picking up another for my main workstation. Can I boot from NVME on a PCIE card in Windows/Linux? Is there a reasonably priced processor that you would recommend for workstation duties (no major multicore workflows on my workstation, so clock cycles will be more important than core count) Thank you
I was able to boot from an NVMe on PCIe adapters in both Linux and Windows. Both with single drive adapters, and from a two drive Supermicro AOC-SLG3-2M2 card in slot 3 with bifurcation set.

Reactions: KC8FLB

epicurean

Sep 29, 2014
Can anyone suggest sources for cheap compatible 16GB ram that will work on this motherboard? Black Friday sales?

KC8FLB

Aug 12, 2018
If you look at the memory certification in the documentation and copy and paste the exact memory module part numbers in eBay, you will see roughly $50/16gb registered ecc stick and $100/32gb stick. This is for Xeon compatible memory.

I have not priced it out for core i7 non ecc unbuffered memory if you are using core i7 instead of Xeon

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
Would the E5-2680v4 and this motherboard support ECC memory?
I've got an E5-2680v4 in mine with 4 x 16GB SK Hynix HMA42GR7MFR4N-TF ECC RDIMM, but I also tested it with 4 x 16GB M393A2G40DB0-CPB ECC RDIMM (both of these are on the compatible memory list, but are on the slow end of the range)

Last edited:
Reactions: epicurean

KC8FLB

Aug 12, 2018
I made a Google Sheets spreadsheet with all of the E5 V3/V4 processors that includes specs, and relative value metrics like $ per core and $ per clock speed based on recent eBay selling prices. Hope it can help others with choosing the best value processor for your needs.

Feedback welcome and appreciated.

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
That's some great work! The links to ARK are a great touch. I especially like the green highlight on the price leaders for each core count! Thank you.

One (minor) observation: Column T (TDP) format seems to be set as Alphanumeric instead of Numeric, so everything that begins with "1" comes first in an ascending sort, followed by "2" etc. This puts 105 W first in an ascending sort, while 50 W is in the middle after all the 100+ CPUs, and with 90 W at the end. Totally minor, and not meant to be looking a gift horse in the mouth. Thanks again!

KC8FLB

Aug 12, 2018
One (minor) observation: Column T (TDP) format seems to be set as Alphanumeric instead of Numeric, so everything that begins with "1" comes first in an ascending sort, followed by "2" etc...
Thanks for pointing that out. I have fixed that data type and a few others as well.

larrysb

Nov 7, 2018
My motherboard came in today. Haven't had a chance to plug it in. Arrived in new condition, no sign of ever being installed, screwmarks, etc, CPU cover in place, IO shield and a DVD dated 2019. Packaged in expanding foam. Made in europe.

A few interesting things:

2x 1Gbe lan ports, one is Intel 210, the other is Intel 217LM.
4 of the PCIe slots are from the CPU, run Gen-3 speed. (x4, x16, x4, x16) The x16 are #6 and #3.
3 of the PCIe slots are from the PCH (C612) and run Gen 2 speeds. Marked on the mobo. (#5, #2, #1)
The PCIe slots aren't re-inforced and have the side-snap retainer, rather than the ratcheting type found on Asus workstation and consumer gaming boards.

The "-B" motherboards have ATX power connectors. (mine does)
The "-A" motherboards have 12v only power.

There's a "TPM" jumper, but I'm not sure TPM is on the board or not.

It appears that Intel vPro AMT is enabled, but not sure.

The CPU VRM components have no heat sink at all.

Xeon support claimed, but I think HEDT processors also supported. ECC RDIMM and LRDIMM supported.

No NVMe slot.

There's an internal USB connector marked "USB Stick".

It's green!!! Woohoo, I'm so tired of dealing with black motherboards.

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
The CPU VRM components have no heat sink at all.
That type of VRM MOSFET is designed to dissipate most of its heat through the motherboard strata and only a small amount via the metallic covers. Since you can't overclock, that's supposed to be enough, which is why there's no heatsink. YMMV of course.

larrysb

Nov 7, 2018
That type of VRM MOSFET is designed to dissipate most of its heat through the motherboard strata and only a small amount via the metallic covers. Since you can't overclock, that's supposed to be enough, which is why there's no heatsink. YMMV of course.
Yeah, most of them are designed to do that way and the VRM's are able to operate at very high temperatures. But most board vendors include at least a small heatsink for the VRM's, like the SuperMicro X10SRLF small heat sink on the mosfets.

KC8FLB

Aug 12, 2018
I just upgraded my Unraid server from dual E5-2670 V1's with this board and a E5-2680V4 (14C/28T). running perfectly.
using four 32GB DDR4 2400 Registered ECC sticks (Certified) I got for $95 each on eBay.
Upgraded the BIOS to the latest from Feb 2020. Happy with the build. Lost 2 cores/4T but saved 120watts per the UPS readout which includes removing one 115W TDP CPU, 12 less Ram sticks, less one LSI HBA (moved to onboard SATA for the SATA drives, still have one SAS3 HBA)

Thank you for sharing, this is a really nice board and would be great for a workstation.

KC8FLB

Aug 12, 2018
Editing this post a year later to mention that my board is fine, I had two memory modules out of four fail on me and my testing/troubleshooting logic was poor to say the least (tired and frustrated, I guess). I replaced this board with a supermicro for my server and will use this board as a workstation board. This board is stable and running great with working Ram.

I had it running in production and now having a boot failure, usb not even recognized. Will continue troubleshooting today. I noticed there is a set of status or troubleshooting mini led on the board but the documentation does not list any information on them. Does anyone know how to decided to yellow mini led light array? Looks like 8 lights guessing 8 bit status message or one light per function? Any info would be appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited:

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
I had it running in production and now having a boot failure, usb not even recognized. Will continue troubleshooting today. I noticed there is a set of status or troubleshooting mini led on the board but the documentation does not list any information on them. Does anyone know how to decided to yellow mini led light array? Looks like 8 lights guessing 8 bit status message or one light per function? Any info would be appreciated. Thank you.

Sad to see your board having issues. I was curious what the lights were myself and never did find an answer. I had some time in the evenings, so I actually went through all the documentation on the ftp site in both the motherboard's folder and the common documentation and found no mention at all. Best of luck for an easy fix.