New Flex ATX Supermicro Xeon D motherboards

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
YESSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!! Sign me up! Get me a ship date.

FlexATX is an interesting choice (vs mATX). One concern for me is whether either x8 slot will properly line up with the riser for SMs 1U chassis (SC113/116) as I have a pile of these just waiting for exactly this board.

Of course if the X10SDV-7TP4F doesn't cost an arm and a leg then who needs the x8 slot?

I would have preferred that they build it with an LSI3008 vs the 2116 (8 12G ports vs 16 6G ports). But why be picky. At home it won't matter. And at work I'd be buying enough that they'd probably build what I want on a custom SKU.

Reactions: gigatexal

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
A couple of the "early stock bandit" sites have the 1518/No SAS version listed for ~$515. This is actually good news that street pricing will come in under $500 once they can fill the channel.

Reactions: pgh5278

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
I wish they released these before I bought the asrock D1540 boards.. :(
No regrets dude. You have boards. We have hope. Could be 6 months or more before any of us have anything in hand.

Besides - if you list those boards on eBay while supplies are still thin you might get out with a profit. You'd be surprised what people will pay if you could deliver TODAY.

Reactions: MiniKnight

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
A couple of the "early stock bandit" sites have the 1518/No SAS version listed for ~$515. This is actually good news that street pricing will come in under $500 once they can fill the channel.
I know people are gonna flame me for this, but I see that around $515 as well. If you compare it to a new E3, mobo w/ 6 NICs and 10Gb adapter even $515 is not bad. (Flamesuit on)

I saw some random sites, all of these no stock, in the $930-$1050 range on the one with the SAS and 8 core. I'd prob spend the few bucks more for that board over the X10SDV-TLN4F if I were building a storage box. The LSI controller is 2x LSI 9200-8i's which would cost $100/ea anyway. $541 on ARK for the D-1537. It's just clocked low but it's still 35w.

The one thing that sucks is Flex ATX. Maybe they ran out of room? What kind of case do you use for this? I'd want:
  • 16x 3.5" (hard drive storage)
  • 2x SATA 3 2.5" (cache)
  • 2x SATADOM (no need for bays)
  • Then I'd want to use a m.2 slot converter for a 2.5" NVMe drive. I wonder if you could use 2x of those AOC's in the PCIe 3 x8 slots? Then you could actually have 5x NVMe 2.5" drives on this board!
16x 3.5" isn't going to happen in a desktop case. Maybe you'd have a small mITX then 2x U-NAS or Silverstone 8-bay JBODs?

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
I wish they released these before I bought the asrock D1540 boards.. :(
Sh|t ALWAYS happens right :-(

I coveted these boards and finally gave up on SFP+ and went 2011 on the 2670 deal, i'm happy w/ the course I took but if i would have known this I would have had a tougher decision for sure!

lucidrenegade

Dec 12, 2011
I know people are gonna flame me for this, but I see that around $515 as well. If you compare it to a new E3, mobo w/ 6 NICs and 10Gb adapter even $515 is not bad. (Flamesuit on)

I saw some random sites, all of these no stock, in the $930-$1050 range on the one with the SAS and 8 core. I'd prob spend the few bucks more for that board over the X10SDV-TLN4F if I were building a storage box. The LSI controller is 2x LSI 9200-8i's which would cost $100/ea anyway. $541 on ARK for the D-1537. It's just clocked low but it's still 35w.

The one thing that sucks is Flex ATX. Maybe they ran out of room? What kind of case do you use for this? I'd want:
  • 16x 3.5" (hard drive storage)
  • 2x SATA 3 2.5" (cache)
  • 2x SATADOM (no need for bays)
  • Then I'd want to use a m.2 slot converter for a 2.5" NVMe drive. I wonder if you could use 2x of those AOC's in the PCIe 3 x8 slots? Then you could actually have 5x NVMe 2.5" drives on this board!
16x 3.5" isn't going to happen in a desktop case. Maybe you'd have a small mITX then 2x U-NAS or Silverstone 8-bay JBODs?
Flex-ATX sits between Mini-ITX and Micro-ATX, so it should fit in any Micro-ATX case.

msvirtualguy

Jan 23, 2013
msvirtualguy.com
Well I was excited until the form factor changed...I guess ya can't have it all. Looks like i'll be sticking with my Westmere systems for a while. Probably go to a colo....

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Well I was excited until the form factor changed...I guess ya can't have it all. Looks like i'll be sticking with my Westmere systems for a while. Probably go to a colo....
From the ~dozen or so mITX Xeon D boards I have seen thus far, sticking more functionality onboard and keeping them in a 1U form factor is something that just will not happen. The PCB on these boards is absolutely packed.

miraculix

Mar 6, 2015
I'm wondering about a small "just right" chassis myself, but as a single rackmount. I guess I'm being totally unrealistic, but I hate all that wasted internal space when using full depth hot swap storage chassis to accommodate these tiny boards finally coming out that can yield high SATA/SAS port counts.

I found these options from a mainland China manufacturer, but no retail channel as far as I can tell. The interesting part is the rear section is interchangeable for different depths.

12bay 480mm depth (Flex ATX probably won't fit, but seems perfect for Supermicro -TLN4F or -TLN2F)
EDNSE,EDENESE Brand,Server & Server Case & parts & Solution
http://www.ednse.com/uploads/soft/2U/ED212H48-T3.pdf

16 and 24bay 550mm depth (seems perfect for this new -7TP4F!)
http://www.ednse.com/uploads/soft/3U/ED316H55-T3.pdf
http://www.ednse.com/uploads/soft/4U/ED424H65-T3.pdf

Jeggs101

Dec 29, 2010
I might be tired but @miraculix what is the point of getting those kinds of cases and not just something easy to find? Just less deep? They look like normal rackmount front but at least one has the PSU on the opposite side of normal in the rear.

miraculix

Mar 6, 2015
I might be tired but @miraculix what is the point of getting those kinds of cases and not just something easy to find? Just less deep? They look like normal rackmount front but at least one has the PSU on the opposite side of normal in the rear.
Well of course, hence why I prefaced my post with "totally unrealistic" :D

But I do wonder if the market just needs to catch up, and we'll eventually see chassis sized more appropriately for these tiny boards with such high SATA/SAS density.

EDIT: and to answer one specific question... yes, shorter depth. Less rack units could be another goal, but that probably means losing hot swap unless it's some sort of slide out drawer configuration.

Last edited:

brad

Dec 22, 2015
The Supermicro X10SDV-7TP4F looks in particular very promising. Does anyone know whether the LSI 2116 will be usable in IT mode for ZFS? If not directly, maybe patchable? How high might the realistic bandwidth be for the 16 discs?

pgh5278

Oct 25, 2012
Australia
The Supermicro X10SDV-7TP4F looks in particular very promising. Does anyone know whether the LSI 2116 will be usable in IT mode for ZFS? If not directly, maybe patchable? How high might the realistic bandwidth be for the 16 discs?
Do a search on the forum for LSI 9202-16e, there is information available to read, it uses the same setup...